Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer of games/applications

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blobbyboy

Blobbyboy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:54 AM

Hi, thinking of buying a new desktop computer - but I have all my games (and there are a lot!) on this internal C drive. How to transfer them across without them crashing because of needed registry files, .dlls etc stored on this C drive? These games were bought and paid for and I'd hate to lose them.

Any help would be gratefully received - and please explain as you would a child, I'm not that computer au fait! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 16 July 2009 - 10:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

You'll have to use disc imaging software that will make a complete image (copy) of your hard drive. A computer can boot off an image so you'll keep everything that was on your hard drive, including settings, files, and programs. Doing so however to another computer/motherboard can cause problems because the drivers for the new hardware may have conflicts with the drivers on your old set up. I guess you could uninstall all of the old drivers first, but I'm not entirely sure how well that would work.

The only software I know of that does that is Acronis, but it's not a free program. Maybe someone else with more experience with this thing can help you more, sorry.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

I've used a piece of software called Laplink PcMover to do exactly this. It is located here: http://www.laplink.com/

Unfortunately, at this time their website is down for maintenance.

You can purchase Pcmover directly from them from their website ( when it comes back online ). If I remember correctly, it's right around $40 but I could be mistaken.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users