Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fedora 11 - Can't login

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:03 AM

Hi guys,

Had it up and working perfectly, then all of a sudden it froze, i was left with no option other than to hold the power button in... :thumbsup:

Now when i boot i get the login screen, but instead of having my user account it has "other..." which i can't click. It has boot errors which relate to "named".

Error is:

Error in named configuration:
a few files not found and error's loading from master file named.empty and named.loopback

Any idea's? I have tried doing the resuce from the disc, but didn't help.

I am able to login to it using Putty and log in as root, but can't log in as my user as "access is denied"

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

Can I get the exact error message? I have no experience with Fedora, so I have to google it up. The only thing I can suggest right now is running fsck if you haven't.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

I tried running that fsck but it didn't seem to work. Since then i can not log in via telnet either. I'm thinking there is some serious problem here, may be quicker and easier to format and reinstall as it has no data on it yet.

It will be used as a Web/Mail/FTP server, is fedora good for this or should i be looking at a different distro? Others have been pointing me towards CentOS 5.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

Fedora gets the latest updates, which makes it somewhat unstable. CentOS doesn't get updated as much, so it's more reliable. CentOS is my recommended course.

You may also want to look at these:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/servers/5...web-server.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/li...-fedora-608628/
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for your help! It seems CentOS is the way to go...

*Off to download CentOS...*

Does anyone know of a good tutorial that has step by step info on how to install the server and services such as web/mail/ftp, would like it to have a GUI is all possible to? (as my knowledge of linux is very little)

I have had a look around on howtoforge.com but the last few tutorials i have followed from them have had minor parts missing that led to hours in extra research (which helped my knowledge in linux i guess...).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users