Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

first computer building

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Amanik041

Amanik041

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

okay so basically, i'm trying to go for as cheap as possible. Newegg is my main source, but i might be looking around for cheaper prices.
i mainly want to use this computer for advanced 3d animation and video editing. what do you guys think?

Computer Parts:

Computer Case:
New Egg: Rosewill R222-P-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case – Retail
$20, no Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811147095

Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
$100 after mail-in-rebate

Internal Hard Drive:
HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Only $75, has good reviews, some DOAs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822145233

DVD/CD Drive
There's hekka good drives available for around $25

CPU Processor:
AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HD960ZWCGDBOX - Retail
$90
AMD Opteron 1354 Budapest 2.2GHz Socket AM2 75W Quad-Core Processor Model OS1354WBJ4BGH - OEM
$75
This isn’t much better, but a lot cheaper
Do i need a CPU cooler too?

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$110
Memory:
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK – Retail
$100, also comes with free 4 gb flash drive
However, the timing is slow, but I haven’t found any 6 gb with faster timing. Or is “8-8-24” actually fast?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227365

There’s 6 gigs for $86, no free flash drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820220365
There are 4 gigs for $50

Video Card: Depends on money available, but what I want is:
PNY VCQFX580-PCIE-PB Quadro FX580 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card - Retail
$185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133273

Estimated Total: $625, using the cheapest options on each.

will this work? any recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:13 AM

No,that motherboard is a DDR2 ram socket you are planing on purchasing DDR3,look for a motherboard that does not say AM2 or AM2+,only AM3,on top of this that outdated CPU is an AM2 ,AKA: DDR2,CPU only look for AM3 socket CPU's If you want DDR3.
I would recommend not cheeping out on the CPU,Get a Phenom II or better,that will give you a much more advanced computer,and much more capable PC.
Also look at Newegg's combo deals at the bottom of the sale pages you can get a great deal.

#3 Amanik041

Amanik041
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

im trying to learn about computers as much as i can. how come DDR3 wont work on my motherboard unless it only says AM3 and not AM3/AM2/AM2+? is it because there's a limited amount of AM3 slots on one that has all three or something?

here's the only motherboard i saw that had only AM3: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $125 after mail-in-rebate
not a bad price, i think i can fit that in my budget.

i read an article comparing dual core with quad core, and it said that the difference wasn't very much considering the price. im assuming that it similar comparing dual-core vs triple core

so would it be better to have: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor Model HDZ550WFGIBOX for only $100

or

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX for $120?

i kinda do want my pc to last me a good 4 years, is that unrealistic looking at these specs? the only thing im gonna do is video editing, 3d animation, and homework.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:34 AM

Looking over your PC, I see there are some issues. You cannot use DDR3 memory on a motherboard that supports only DDR2. AM3 only motherboards are designed to work with DDR3 only, but AM2/AM2+ motherboards run only DDR2. Note that the AM3 processors can run in certain AM2/AM2+ motherboards due to backwards compatibility.

Case: Your case is decent, but not spectacular. Most users are content with just a steel box and nothing more.

Power Supply: Excellent manufacturer but the wattage is overkill for any single graphics card setups. However, if you plan on upgrading the graphics card at a later date, you will need the extra power.

CPU: Those are two very old processors. The Phenom is being replaced by the newer and more efficient Phenom II. The Opteron is designed for servers and the one you've chosen is open box. This means you get a processor and nothing else, not even a cooler. You have two processors from a quad core line, one is designed for servers (Opteron) and the other for consumers (Phenom). Many processors designed for servers are not supported by some consumer level motherboards.

Motherboard: That is a good choice, but the memory kit you listed is designed for triple channel motherboards, not dual channel ones like AMD offers. Technically you could still buy it, but if you're going to you should buy two RAM kits with two sticks of RAM in them as motherboards supporting AMD processors have four RAM slots.

Video Card: Since you chose that card, I assume you realize that it is for workstations that do 3D modeling and not for consumers who play games. The Quadro cards will not run games well at all. Since you are going to do 3D animations, this is not a factor, but it is something to remember.

There are two things missing from your list, a hard drive and an operating system. With PC's that have 4GB or more of RAM, you need a 64-bit operating system to use it all.

Here's a good motherboard, CPU, and RAM combination that will work.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - A simple but effective motherboard. This one supports AM3 processors with DDR3 memory. This motherboard will not allow for more than a single graphics card to be used. This means you will not be able to use Crossfire or SLI. Since you're not using this PC for gaming, this will not be much of an issue. $79

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz - The AMD Phenom II X3 720 will work too, but if your budget allows a quad core will be better. This quad core CPU does have a slightly slower clock speed, but it does have four cores. Some 3D animation and modeling programs will work with four cores and, if the programs you use are designed for it, this processor will outperform a triple core CPU running at a slightly higher speed. Both the 720 and the 810 come with coolers for the CPU. $139

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - AM3 only motherboards use DDR3 RAM. DDR3 is slightly more expensive than DDR2, in this case by $10. If you want to fill all four RAM slots on your motherboard, you will need two of these kits. This specific RAM kit has been tested by the motherboard manufacturer and is listed in their QVL as a result. $64

Edited by DJBPace07, 17 July 2009 - 03:37 AM.

3939.png

#5 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

tiger direct has good prices on barebones kits, and mobo/cpu combos...when you pick one it prompts you for additional items like memory etc that go with what you pick. i've bought both a barebones kit and a mobo/cpu combo from them. i'm running a core 2 duo 3.0ghz with 4g ram

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

Barebones kits can be helpful, but be careful as the combos can be far from impressive.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users