Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP services.exe / lsass.exe errors?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maximumrock

maximumrock

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

I have old DELL laptop.. an old junker really but its all i have for a laptop.. its got regular windows xp home edition on it

I was working on it earlier this morning and i had to shut it down cuz it locked up on me.. when i tried to reboot.....it goes to the screen asking if i want to go to Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking........you all know the screen..

No matter which option i choose.. (even last known good config).. it boots up to where i get a black screen and box saying services.exe "Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006). Click on OK to terminate the application."

then it has an identical error for "lsass.exe"......

I click ok on those........then goes to the windows XP logo bootup screen.......sits there a while.. t hen finally screen goes black.. mouse is still operational..

So this is where i ask for HELP!! I could easily just wipe this hard drive out, except..... my CD rom drive has been messed up for a year....it just doesnt work......i was hoping i could get into the "safe mode with command prompt" and maybe try getting into System Restore via Dos........ but i cant get that far for dos screen to come up......

I could seriously use some help here as i have some work to do on there.. if not i am pretty screwed until i can buy a new one next month..

thanks in advance...

max

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

i have gotten my CD rom drive to work somehow.......does anyone thing a Repair of windows would help? i would really like to save my files in my documents folder..

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:20 AM

How many times have you tried to load Windows using "Last know good configuration that worked"? Sometimes it needs more than one or two attempts before it is successful. I have experienced success after 4 attempts .... but I suggest something like 10 attempts before giving up on this option to get your system up and running again.

Suck it and see.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

prolly like 4 times.........but things got even worse as teh night went on..

i tried to do a repair.......no luck......then after i was rebooting.. i started to hear this kicking sound coming from inside the laptop.. sounds like the hard drive is seriously jacked up.......if thats the case.. u think if i get an enclosure unit for that HD, attach to my desktop PC, that i can get my old data off it?

thx for the reply

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

If the problem is malware or hardware...a repair install probably won't solve it.

Lsass.exe is (normally) a valid XP file, depending on location and size. In other instances, it can be a malware item.

Normal file location (within the used operating system) is C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Backup copies may be stored in Service Pack files and C:\Windows\System32\dllcache.

My files are all 13KB in size.

If you are having hardware problems...that needs to be addressed immediately.

Although you indicate that you think the hard drive is the source of noise from the system...what would make you not think it's the optical drive you stated that you had problems with? Or some other hardware item?

The parameters you quoted for the error message...can have many different causes.

In any case, since you suspect the hard drive...I suggest moving your valued files from it...and then running the appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#6 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

If the problem is malware or hardware...a repair install probably won't solve it.

Lsass.exe is (normally) a valid XP file, depending on location and size. In other instances, it can be a malware item.

Normal file location (within the used operating system) is C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Backup copies may be stored in Service Pack files and C:\Windows\System32\dllcache.

My files are all 13KB in size.

If you are having hardware problems...that needs to be addressed immediately.

Although you indicate that you think the hard drive is the source of noise from the system...what would make you not think it's the optical drive you stated that you had problems with? Or some other hardware item?

The parameters you quoted for the error message...can have many different causes.

In any case, since you suspect the hard drive...I suggest moving your valued files from it...and then running the appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

Thanks for the reply Louis!

Right now, i am at a stand still.. Now the hard drive is clicking/kicking.. the noise is horrible. I get an error of "hard drive
not found" when i try to boot or nothing at all....I took the hard drive out and started the laptop and there was no clicking or kicking noise.. So i am positive its that.......

Is there anything i can do to fix that?? When i was working on it the other night.. I was at a C:\ prompt and i just hit "DIR" to view that drives directory listing......thats when the clicking started to sound......other than that, i never had a problem with this hard drive..

Do you think a 2.5 enclosure unit would be able to read it, if my laptop couldnt??? I am gonna get a new laptop next week.. but i would like to get a few recent documents off of it,, that i have been working on.........

thx..

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

You can always try recovery software, if you like.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed.

There are free versions, there are paid versions of such.

Louis

#8 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

You can always try recovery software, if you like.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed.

There are free versions, there are paid versions of such.

Louis

how does recovery software work when i cant even boot up correctly?? is there anything i can physically do to the HD?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

If you do any research on recovery programs...you will see that it doesn't matter one bit...if the suspect hard drive is capable of booting. The recovery software is contained on a CD and detects/accesses the suspect drive from the CD.

If the drive can be read by the CD, files may be capable of being recovered. If the drive cannot be read, life goes on.

An example of a data recovery program: GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Louis

#10 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:31 PM

If you do any research on recovery programs...you will see that it doesn't matter one bit...if the suspect hard drive is capable of booting. The recovery software is contained on a CD and detects/accesses the suspect drive from the CD.

If the drive can be read by the CD, files may be capable of being recovered. If the drive cannot be read, life goes on.

An example of a data recovery program: GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Louis

ahhh. gotcha.. thanks for the tip. i will look into it if the enclosure unit doesnt work.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users