Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows could not Start because file is missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dang0

dang0

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

We are a 501 ©(3) non-profit) helping our Injured servicemen & women rebuild their shattered lives.
Please Help.
Hope I posted correctly as this is first time to post.

After logging into computer received was given choice of selecting OS (TWO XP professional). Chose top one.
Error message/Windows will not Start because file is missing or corrupt. Delete and reinstall SP 3.

Steps I took from Microsoft Help
Method 1: Use the "Add or Remove Programs" item in Control Panel

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Copy and then paste the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
appwiz.cpl
3. Click to select the Show Updates check box.
4. Click Windows XP Service Pack 3, and then click Remove.
5. Click Finish to restart the computer after the removal process is complete.

Upon Restart
Choice was Windows (default)
Error
Windows could not Start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Please re-install a copy of (Windows root)\system 32\hal.dll

I do not have recovery disc or XP professional as I installed from Microsoft website with key bought through Tech Soup for Non Profits. I am a novice to intermediate user.

Gateway 2000 507GR
XP Professional SP 3 (Build 2600)
Firefox 3.5 IE 8

Edited by dang0, 15 July 2009 - 09:35 PM.

Old Dogs CAN'T learn NEW tricks. TRY ME-I gotta master this computer age.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

Download XP Recovery CD Image from here : http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

How to burn this ISO image on CD : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Once you get recovery cd, you can boot from it just like an XP cd.

Microsoft solution for your problem : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Method 3 given on microsoft site will not work with this recovery disk, because it does not have XP installation files.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

Strange that you don't have any media...when I visit the Techsoup website, it explicitly states that media will be provided.

"Acquiring the Installation Media and License Key: Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. Installation media will be shipped to you free of charge, but only if you request it during check-out. If you donít already have the media, answer Yes when prompted during the check-out process."

In any case...if you have a valid license, it's probably wise to find someone with XP Pro installed...and get them to burn you a copy of their CD. The CD is just the installation media (contains the files needed) but it's the license that is the real property acquired.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users