Please Help. Hope I posted correctly as this is first time to post.
After logging into computer received was given choice of selecting OS (TWO XP professional). Chose top one.
Error message/Windows will not Start because file is missing or corrupt. Delete and reinstall SP 3.
Steps I took from Microsoft Help
Method 1: Use the "Add or Remove Programs" item in Control Panel
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Copy and then paste the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
3. Click to select the Show Updates check box.
4. Click Windows XP Service Pack 3, and then click Remove.
5. Click Finish to restart the computer after the removal process is complete.
Choice was Windows (default)
Windows could not Start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Please re-install a copy of (Windows root)\system 32\hal.dll
I do not have recovery disc or XP professional as I installed from Microsoft website with key bought through Tech Soup for Non Profits. I am a novice to intermediate user.
Gateway 2000 507GR
XP Professional SP 3 (Build 2600)
Firefox 3.5 IE 8
Edited by dang0, 15 July 2009 - 09:35 PM.