Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re install Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 realgem63

realgem63

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:44 PM

My pc recently had a series of blue screens.After researching all of them on this site and many others,I came to the conclusion that my hard drive was bad.I purchased a new one from dell.Sorry,I have a dell dimension 5100.I watched a video on how to replace it.Pretty simple.My problem is now I can't get windows to install.I tried several things.Getting the computer to boot from a disc was quite an adventure.I got into the setup screen and changed some things.I can get it to load so far and then get another error screen.I didn't write it down.DUH!I then tried to get my Windows Vista disc from my laptop to install.I got so far and got this error code:0x80070570.I went into the setup screen and changed a few things and tried to install Vista again.It went a little further this time,but then gave me this error code:0x80070020.I called dell,but since my warranty ran out they wouldn't help me even though I've spent nearly 1500 on their products this year.Oh well.Anyway if anyone can help me start over I would greatly appreciate it.I shouldn't try to do this stuff on my own I guess.I'm just a carpenter.Taking it apart and replacing things I can relate to that,but all this typing and clicking is sometimes a little frustrating.I am getting somewhat better,but bow before all who can work through the mumbo jumbo that is computer programs.Thanks for letting me rant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

In the older Dell Bios, there was no button or menu entry for "Load Bios Defaults" but there is a key combination that will do it.

Boot your computer and press F2 to enter the Bios screen. ONce it appears, press ALT+F keys together and all Bios defaults will be loaded. Make sure you reset your date and time then press Escape to exit and save the settings.

Now, reboot the laptop with your Windows XP cd in the drive and press F12 for a boot menu. You can then use the arrow keys to pick the CD/DVD drive and hit enter. The laptop will then try booting from the CD/DVD drive. If you are getting these type errors when booting from your CD/DVD drive, it can mean a few things but I will give you the "normal" problems. The two most likely are either a "dirty" Windows XP CD or your CD/DVD drive is dirty or defective.

To be sure your XP cd is good and bootable with no problems, you can try booting it in another computer and see if it will get to the point where it says "welcome to windows xp" and the screen it blue backgrounded. IF you can get here, you can feel much better that you know the CD is readable. Does this say that the "Entire" disk can be read, no. But it at least says you can boot from it and get to the first screen on the CD.

If you cannot boot this far with the cd in another computer, then you know it's the disk itself and it is either dirty or damaged.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

It would help to know the XP error codes you received.

I suggest trying to install it...and writing down any error codes/messages...or trying the Vista forum for the respective errors that might accompany install attempts for it.

Louis

#4 realgem63

realgem63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

OK I got so far with the reinstall of XP.It gets to the screen where it says setup is being restarted and then goes to the blue screen.I've tried several times and it comes back with one of these 4 messages.PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA,IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,0x0000008e,or a window opened up and said this file was corrupt or missing:syssetup.inf.I think I'm getting there with your help.Thanks so much for your time guys.Any clue where to go from here.The computer was totally rebuilt by dell last year around this time while still under warranty.They replaced the hard drive,ram and motherboard.I replaced the sound card,but don't think the video card was replaced.I've seen some info about the video card while researching some of the error codes.Is there a way to check it out?Thanks again you guys are great!

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

My next suggestion would be to get a copy of Memtest86+ and run a full test on your memory in your computer.

I would also take one more look at your Windows XP disk and make sure it's not scratched really bad or dirty. If the memory tests come back good and with no errors, then I would suspect the Disk or the CD/DVD drive as defective.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#6 realgem63

realgem63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

thanks for getting back so quick.i tried your link but don't know which one to choose.also not sure how to do that.i take it i download it to my laptop and burn it to a disc,right?will any disc do or are there special ones for that.i know i'm a pain and i greatly appreciate your patience.thanks!

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip

Download this one and unzip it to your desktop. You will need to burn this to a CD-R. From there you will boot your computer from this disk and it will do the rest on its own.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

FWIW: Icrontic » Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Louis

#9 realgem63

realgem63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

dude I got it working!I just removed my memory sticks and replaced them 1 at a time and it worked!The newest one a 1gb I put back in and left the 2 old 256 kb out and it worked!But guess what?Another problem!I have sveral discs from dell that I figured needed to be installed.I didn't need the monitor one,and the printer was self explanatory.But when I tried to install the other 3,something went wrong.The first one is for reinstalling V.9x(capable)56k Data/Fax Modem software.Ok that one sounds right.The next 2 are :1-Dell Dimension and Dell XPS computer software,contents:device drivers and diagnostics and utilities.2-Dell Tools System Software,contents:antivirus software,support software,multimedia software,and internet software.after i installed one of them(not sure which one) I tried to install the other.A window appeared saying I needed to delete the other one before I could install this one.So I did.I then tried to set up my internet connection.No luck.So I tried to install the other disc again.It said I needed to delete the installed one before I could continue.I tried to set up my internet connection again.No luck.I called my ISP and talked to them.He made me go into control panel,system and maintenance,system,and device manager.It had a bunch of yellow question marks and he said one of the discs needed to be installed but didn't know which one.So I ask again,any ideas,comments,questions?You guys have been incredible so far and I know with your help I can do this!If only I could use my hammer and saw,I wouldn't have to bother you!Many thanks!

#10 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

The Dell Drivers CD should autostart when you insert it in your computer and then show you a list of hardware that it has drivers for the hardware in your computer.

Although this will work, I would suggest going to the Dell Website and downloading the newest drivers from their website and installing them instead.
To be sure what drivers you need, you can go here and click on "Original System Configuration". Enter your service tag in the box and click on continue. This will show you what hardware "originally" came in your computer from Dell.

With that list you can then go here and download the newest available drivers from Dell for your computer.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#11 realgem63

realgem63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for the reply.I looked at the original configuration and it doesn't really tell me much.This is what I found:1 FC754 Processor, 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott Dt, Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 2.8GHZ, 1 MEGB, 533FSB..., SOCKET T..., E0, Male
0 149DF INFORMATION..., PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEVIATION..., PRECISION WORKSTATION..., INCREASE..., #2
1 T0185 Kit, Keyboard, Mouse, 104, UNITED STATES..., Wireless, NMB...
2 C6795 Dual In-Line Memory Module, 256400M, 32X64, 8.240, 1RX8
1 DC402 Assembly, Flash Storage Device Universal Serial Bus, 512M M-Systems, V3
1 X2749 Modem, V.92, Data Fax, Internal Donny, Dell Americas Organization
1 W8037 Kit, Speaker, 120V, A425, Lead Free, Zylux Corporation, Dell Americas Organization
1 D9934 Assembly, Compact Disk Read Write/Digital Video Disk DriveCombo, 48X, Half Height, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE..., CHASSIS 2005...
1 C6173 Assembly, Cable, AUDIO, 10P Front, MATRIX,SMITH,MINI TOWER...
1 K4562 Card, Multi-Media, Audio, SB0413
1 UC946 Card, Graphics, 256, Radeon, X600 MRMGA+
1 MC249 Hard Drive, 160G, Native CommandQueueing, 7.2K, 8M, Lead Free SGT-PU
1 MC133 KIT..., Software, Norton Internet Security, 15MTH, Original Equipment Mfgr., 20055, English
1 CD940 Kit, Software, Wordperfect, 12 PLUS-TRIAL
1 U4931 Display, Flat Panel, 17, DUAL VOLTAGE..., E173FPB, MIDNIGHT GRAY..., DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
0 Y5112 Service Charge, Software Hypertext Markup Language, 942
0 Y5111 Service Charge, Software Applications, 942
0 Y5110 Service Charge, Software Driver, 942
0 F6653 Service Charge, Software BB-Icon, Rev2, Consumer
0 4R657 Information, RADIO-MX, 60-DAY-FREE
0 DC057 INFORMATION..., SOFTWARE..., MUSIC MATCH..., BASIC..., BOUNTY...
0 5R636 Information, MUS-MATCH, Basic
0 M7661 Service Charge, Software, Music Match, 9.0, Basic
0 U7306 Service Charge, Software, NortonInternet Security, SECURITY UPDATES
0 HC982 Service Charge, Software, NortonInternet Security, 20055, 15MTH Original Equipment Mfgr., ENGLAND/ENGLISH...
0 PC686 INFORMATION..., ROYALTY..., POWERDVD..., TRANSACTIONAL LINE OF BUSINESS...
0 R9654 Service Charge, Software, Power DVD, 5.5, Dimension
0 DC783 INFORMATION..., SOFTWARE..., QUICKBOOKS..., DELL HOME SYSTEMS..., ROYALTY...
0 H9436 Service Charge, Software, QBKS 2K5, SPCL-SSE
0 6W650 Service Charge, Software, DOTNET, Framework
0 W9928 Service Charge, Software, Word Perfect, PLUS, TRIAL
0 G1059 INFORMATION..., AUD-CHAN, 2
1 X9535 TECHNICAL SHEET..., REMOVE..., COMPACT DISKETTE..., MEDIA REDUCTION INITIATIVE..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH...
0 G7181 Service Charge, Software, WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER..., 10
0 H7141 Service Charge, Software Microsoft, Digital Media Edition, PLUS
0 Y6871 Service Charge, Software, PHST Low Encryption
0 W7700 Service Charge, Software, WMP10 Multi-media, PLUGIN
0 J3120 Service Charge, Hypertext Markup Language, Modem, Data Fax, Marie, Dimension
0 J3121 Service Charge, Digital Line Guard, Modem, Data Fax, Marie Dimension
0 J3076 Service Charge, Driver, Modem Data Fax, Marie, Dimension
1 5000T Cable, I/O-RJ11, Modem, Green
0 J3118 Service Charge, Modem On Hold Modem, Data Fax, Marie, Dimension
0 D6506 Service Charge, Software Internet Service Provider, NET ZERO...
0 J3077 Service Charge, Diagnostic Modem Helper, Data Fax, Marie Dimension
0 T4110 Service Charge, Software, Adobe Acrobat, READER, 6.0
0 H8112 Service Charge, Software, My WaySearch, Asset
0 4D213 INFORMATION..., USB-DEVICE=1
0 2R397 Service Charge, Software, MMKEY
0 W9713 INFORMATION..., RLTY, DSPRT3, GLOBTEK...
0 KD310 Service Charge, Software DSPRT3.1, GTECK0..., Dimension
0 N6551 Service Charge, Software Windows XP, MARKETING CENTER EDITION 2005..., 128, English
0 C5245 Service Charge, Operating Software, Windows XP Professional SP1, Windows 2000SP4, SUN-JRE
0 D5663 INFORMATION..., SUN@V, 14203
0 GC443 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows XP, Media CenterQ887472
0 N9468 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows XP, MCE05 Q885354
0 W9556 Service Charge, OPERATING SYSTEM..., WINDOWS XP..., W2K Q890175
0 0E779 Information, WindowsXP
0 CC928 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Q888113
0 R8438 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows XP, Windows 2000, OEM-INFO
0 C8099 INFORMATION..., IE@V, 62900
0 PD639 Service Charge, Operating System, Media Center, Q895198
0 C7969 Service Charge, Software Windows XP, DT-CLEAN-ADD
0 H8784 INFORMATION..., DSR_SIZE, 4750
0 U9544 Service Charge, OPERATING SYSTEM..., WINDOWS XP..., W2K Q885835
1 X5543 Label, Certificate Of Authenticity, Windows XP, MCE05 32 Bits, Print On Demand
0 J1680 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows XP, Date Stamp
0 M8344 Service Charge, Software ELECT-USR, Windows XP, Media Center
0 XD915 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows Xp, X64, Windows 2000, Media Center, Q883939
0 R8917 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows XP, MCE05 KB873369
0 X9689 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows Xp, Windows 2000, Q873339
0 T2673 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows XP OCA-MARKER
0 C8107 INFORMATION..., DIRECT X (@V)..., 90003
0 HC251 Service Charge, Operating System, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Media Center, Q891781
0 R0920 Service Charge, OPERATING SYSTEM..., Windows XP Windows 2000, Direct-X
0 W2187 Service Charge, Operating System, WXPSP1, Parity-Port
0 X8001 Service Charge, Operating System, MSI_INSTALLER
0 G6911 Service Charge, Software, Image Restore
1 J9061 Assembly, Panel, Filler, 3.5 inchForm Factor, MATRIX,SMITH,MINI TOWER..., 1.5
0 P2720 Information, DirectX, 90002
0 DD117 Service Charge, Software, DriverMRMGA+
0 0N356 Information, Windows XP 32 Bits, Color
I don't see what I'm looking for.Maybe you do.Anyway,I am trying to download what new drivers I need but can't seem to get it to work correctly.It says to download more than one I need to download Dell Download Manager.So I did.Then when I try to download the drivers,it just keeps telling me I need to download the same Dell Download Manager.Also if I do get them downloaded,I have one of those flash drives that i would like to use if possible.I just don't know how to use it.I can't contact dell because the warranty has expired on my pc so I can't ask them how to go about doing all of this.I am relying on the kindness of strangers and am very happy to have received all the help I have.Thanks again so much.

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

First, I have to apologise to you. I sent you to the Dell Dimension 4400 page and not the Dimension 5100 page. I must have misread your post. That being said, I was able to source your drivers for your "5100" :thumbsup:

They are: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital

ATI RADEON® X600 256MB HYPERMEMORY

Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Intel 537E,v.9X,PCI,Modem

The one thing I did find in your specs that I did not find on the 5100 pages was the Sound card driver. Your specs are stating a Creative Labs SB Live 5.1 Digital but it's not listed on the page for the 5100. So, I found it in another machine.

As for using your usb stick to copy your files over to the 5100, try this:

Create a folder on your desktop ( on the working pc ) and name it "drivers". Download the files from the links I posted to this folder. Once they are all in the "drivers" folder, you can then connect your usb stick.

Open "My Computer" and look for a new drive letter in either hard drives or devices with removable storage. This is where you will want to "send" the folder you just created.

Go back to your desktop and find the "drivers" folder. Right click on it and slide down to "Send To". You will see a list of options. You will be looking for something similar to "removable disk F" or something very similar. Click on that listing and your "drivers" folder will be copied to the usb stick.

Once the copy process has finished, remove the usb stick from this computer and plug it into the Dimension 5100. Being Windows XP, it should pop a box on the screen asking you what you would like to do with the "newly inserted media". Click on "Open folder to view files". Copy the drivers folder to the desktop of your Dimension 5100.

Once copied you can then open the folder and install your drivers one at a time. Although it's not necessarily needed, make sure you reboot between installing each driver. It can only help the installation process go smoother.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#13 realgem63

realgem63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

I got on the chat this morning and someone talked me through everything I needed.I was able to download some of the driver updates and install them on my pc.As of right now I'm connected to the internet and am going through everything I need to get back to where I was when all this happened.I cannot thank you all enough.You are an incredibly great bunch of people to take the time to assist computer illiterates like me.I am getting better due to all of your help.Again thank you so very very much. Mike

#14 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

Glad to hear you got everything back up and running.

Happy Computing :thumbsup:
Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users