Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspirion 8600/Can't connect Wirelessly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

A friend is staying with us for the next few weeks, and we were going to rig his laptop to connect to our wireless network. Problem is, I can't find the Wireless Network Icon in the bottom right hand corner. I found some instructions on the net for starting the Wireless Config Option located under Control Panel/Admin Options/Services/Some thing else, and It was already started, but, it's not working. I stopped and started it, even, and nothing happens.

What can I do? According to the specs, it has a wireless card built into it.

FWIW, I went to the My Computer/Device Manager and there were 3 yellow question marks next to network adapter and network adapter type listings.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Edited by boopme, 15 July 2009 - 08:43 PM.
Mod Edit: moved from XP to NETWORKING ~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Go here and click on the tab named "Original System Configuration". Enter your service tag and click on continue. This will show you a list of what hardware originally came with your laptop. In the list look for something like Dell TrueMobile or Intel Pro Wireless. These are the wireless cards that Dell uses in their laptops.

Once you have this information, you can go here and slide down to "network" and click on the Plus next to it. There is a corresponding driver for your wireless card there. Download and install it on your laptop.

Each driver will have its own configuration utility and you won't be using the built-in Windows XP utilities to connect to your wireless network.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

I don't see the two wireless cards you mentioned, but, I did see the Intel 2100, but, the "not applicable" is what I am concerned about. Is that just the language, or the manufacturer?

Thanks.

1 2C415 Assembly,Cable,15.4,LIKA
1 D5689 ASSY,BASE,BTM,CNXT,8600,CR
1 Y0316 LCD, WXGA, NO-SPWG, 15.4, Samsung
1 1M722 Keyboard,87,US,English, Single Pointing,600M
1 F2951 Kit,Cord,Flat,3F,D3W/3P Proposition 65,United States
1 7R414 Processor, 848215,1.4GHZ,1MB, UPGA
1 1U327 Pipe,HT,LIKA
1 5U838 Case, Carrying, Nylon, Large, D-Fmly
2 6G648 Dual In-Line Memory Module,256333,32X64,8K,200
1 5P144 Battery,Malaysia Direct Ship 11.1V,9C,Lithium,Sony
1 5U092 Assembly,Adapter,AC,65W, 19.5V,World Wide
1 F3009 Card,Graphic,NVIDIA,32M,NV34 8600
1 1T707 Hard Drive,30G,I,9.5MM,4.2K Toshiba-Neptune
1 8267R Connector,Header,2X22,F,2, Short,Gold,35K,Third Height,CS
1 2R152 Assembly, Floppy Drive, 1.44M,F3, USB,NEC,DMOD
1 J2711 Assembly,Cable,Universal Serial Bus,FDD,P65,D Modules
1 J1894 Kit, Software, WP Product Suite 11, English
1 N2999 Kit,Software,Money-2K4 Standard,Original Equipment Manufacturer,English
1 P2643 Kit,Software,Microsoft Encarta2k4,Original Equipment Manufacturer,English
1 R2553 Kit,Software,Overpack,WXPHSP1ACompact Diskette/W Documentation,English
1 U2027 Card,Wireless,Capacitor INTEL2100,Not Applicable
1 M4841 Kit,Documentation On Floopy Disk,Software,Cyberlink,4.14H
1 F2979 Assembly,DVD+RW,4X,Hitachi LG Data Storage,D Modules
1 9W815 TSH,DIS,CVR,INSR,I600M,WW
6 6W052 Cover,Screw,Bumper,Rubber Notebook,LIKA
1 9T971 Assembly,Bezel,LCD,15.4 8500
2 4W401 Cover,Screw,Plastic,Notebook LIKA
1 2U158 Assembly,Cover,Back,LCD,15.4 8500
5 2864D Screw,M3X3,KSH,MS,BLO
1 6X610 Assembly,Carrier,Hard Drive LBG
1 W2565 Assembly,Cover,Hinge,8600
0 01323 INFO,NO ITEM
1 5064R Techsheet,Legal,Condition
1 C5800 Guide,Owner,8600,Cost Reduced Inspiron,English
1 F5501 PLCMT,GETS,8600,CR,INSP,WEC
1 X4474 Guide,Product,Information Portable,AMF/BCC

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

The driver you're looking for is located here.

1 U2027 Card,Wireless,Capacitor INTEL2100,Not Applicable - This is your wireless card in "Dell speak" :thumbsup:

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

Thank you so much. I know my houseguest will thoroughly appreciate it!

#6 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

Do I have to get that exact version? For example, that's like version 7.1.4.4, but, I wanted to know if I could get a different one. Reason being, I need to download the file to the computer I am working on, and if I do it through Dell's website, it wants to install it on my computer, and does not give me the option for just downloading it. I have found other websites where I can download the file, but, it's a slightly different version.

Jeremy

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

Try this direct link.

R105328

This should open a download box. Click save and save it wherever you normally save files. Copy it to the laptop and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Well, I have gotten it downloaded and installed.

Let me tell you what it's doing.

When it comes up, the Dell Intel 2100 Utility, I believe called the Zero Configuration Utility comes up, but, then the computer kinda "hangs" for a second, but, I believe that it's just got a lot coming up. Anyway, after I get a message from Windows about not having the correct anti viral software, then the familiar Windows wireless utility icon comes up as well in the system tray. However, neither of them are even detecting the wireless that is here. Is there a setting that we can adjust for that?

I also would like to ask this question: In all of my previous installs and setups of wireless cards, I have only used the Windows utility to connect to wireless. Is there a way that I can launch the Windows utility w/o having to use the Dell utility? I figure that I can keep the Dell utility from coming up, and that would save some system resources.

Jeremy

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

Give this a shot. Open the Control Panel then network connections. Right click on your Intel Wireless Connection and click on properties. Click on the wireless networks tab and put a check in the box next to "Use Windows to Configure My Wireless Network". Click ok. Close all windows and reboot your computer.

Even though the Intel utility will come up, it should now "not" touch your wireless connection and allow you to use the windows configuration utility.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#10 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

I think I have the software working correctly.

Thanks!

Next issue..

I have a router, a F5D7230-4, Belkin made, and I have been trying to connect the laptop wirelessly. Anyway, I see the wireless network, but, it won't let me connect because security is enabled. I opened the Belkin screen on my desktop by using 192.168.2.1 and tried to disable security, but, I think I may have just screwed up the security option. I can't make any changes now at all, because it asks me for a password every time. The password router was unplugged off for 2 months straight, but, the previous password was already in there.

Anyway, how can I reset this so I can connect this laptop to the router?

Thanks.
Jeremy

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:03 AM

You'd have to reset the router - there is a button to the left and down of the power plug...you'll need a straightened paper clip.....but just push it in and most of the time you will feel the resistance of the button being pushed in. Just hold it for a count of 5 or so OR until the lights flash on the front of the router. Just keep in mind any security that was set up will be gone. So if you have other wireless set up in the house it will have to be redone.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#12 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! We are working PERFECTLY now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users