Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external CD/DVD drive not recognized in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Amanik041

Amanik041

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

hey, i have a huge problem :thumbsup: i tried installing vista on an old laptop, and now i cant access it because the hard drive can't support vista. whenever i try and turn it on it says "Disk error, press ctrl alt del to restart".
So i'm trying to reinstall windows xp on there, but the laptop's cd drive is broken. So i bought an external CD drive, and connected it to the laptop, and tried booting it from there, but BIOS didn't sense it. is there anything i can do to make BIOS recognize the USB external CD drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

Check your BIOS settings...looking for something that says "legacy USB support" or something similar. If you find it, enable it and then try it.

Louis

#3 Amanik041

Amanik041
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

i was only able to find "SATA native support", but that's it. it's sensed USB hard drives before, so this is a little strange

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

A USB hard drive...which is accessed from within XP, after XP loads...is not the same as a USB floppy drive, from which you are trying to boot into XP.

The drivers (which are necessary for the system to communicate with the drive) for a USB hard drive are loaded when XP boots.

The drivers for your USB optical drive...won't load until XP boots...so you cannot use the USB drive to boot into XP (it's a catch-22)...unless you have a BIOS that allows USB devices to boot first. You don't seem to have that.

FWIW: Because the drive is connected by USB, it will never appear in the system BIOS. It would appear there only if it was connected directly to the motherboard, same as your hard drive.

Louis

#5 Amanik041

Amanik041
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

aight. thanks very much for your help. is it possible for me to connect another laptop or tower computer's cd/dvd drive to the laptop and use it that way? what are some compatability issues regarding cd drives that i should watch out for?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

I don't know much about laptops...so I can't speak about compatibility of replaceent drives.

Whatever model the laptop is...there should be a manual which may indicate prospective problems with replacing the drive.

Someone else will probably be able to give you better suggestions than I.

Manufacturere and model of the laptop?

Louis

#7 Amanik041

Amanik041
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

HP Pavilion dv2000, specifically dv2050us

1 user(s) are reading this topic