Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Task bar disappears

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Seventh

Seventh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

I am using Windows XP Professional.
Everytime I start up my comp I would have to wait around 15 min for my programs to start up. I mean that my task bar won't be there when i start up it would only be my background and after around ten minutes my task bar comes up and my programs on my desktop appear.
But recently I noticed that when i go into full screen (Youtube full screen vids, Games, Or any programs that take up the whole screen) and minimize some bits and pieces of my task bar and programs would be gone or sometimes the whole task bar would be gone.
I checked msconfig to make sure my startup was in Normal startup.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

Hi Seventh

Welcome to BleepingComputer.

I am assuming you have current AntiVirus and AntiMalware installed, but would still be inclined to run an online scan from MalwareBytes or Windows Live OneCare to ensure your machine is clean.

Another possible cause is simply lack of room on your harddrive. Windows needs a minimum of 15% free space at all times in order to 'breathe', e.g. for a 40GB drive you need at least 6GB free - easily checked by going to Start/My Computer and right clicking on your C: drive and choosing 'Properties'.

You could also try going to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup, and don't forget to empty the Recycle Bin.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Seventh

Seventh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

When I open some things such as "My computer" it doesn't respond and when I run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware it would start to scan but then it would say NOT RESPONDING. And when i press end now all my icons and task bar disappears and i would have to wait 10 mins for them to reappear. I'm pretty sure i have space on my harddrive. I also did the clean up but it didnt seem to do much. Some programs would take forever to run and some are running pretty smoothly..

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

OK. We'll see if other members may have some ideas. Adding extra RAM would probably help, but not knowing your setup it is hard to comment.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

If your computer has not always ran this way, I would suspect some type of virus or malware is on it. If it has always run this way, then it would probably lack of ram or other hardware issues.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

How much RAM is intalled?

How large is C: partition...and how much free space currently in C:?

Last time you ran chkdsk /r on the C: partition?

Last time you defragged C:?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors which require attention?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

This is quite likely related to the problems you have posted in the HiJack This forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/243700/search-engines-redirects-links/ to which you have received a response.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If you are still experiencing this issue once you have been declared clean, send a Private Message to a moderator to reopen this topic.