Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden computer crashes and freezes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 serupento

serupento

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

This is a repeating problem on my acer Aspire 5100, which runs Windows XP, that began around late June.

While running adobe photoshop, mozilla firefox (three tabs, all very low-content sites), and running an AVG antivirus scan on normal speed, I turned to look at something my brother was doing for about 20 seconds. When i turned back, the acer bootup logo was covering the screen. My computer had suddenly restarted itself. When Windows got around to starting up, it ran a disk consistency check, and found an obscure internet Temp file in the Mozilla application data directory. It had a long, possibly encrypted file name. The entry was "truncated," and windows started up normally. However, when i signed onto the admin account I was on when the crash occured, I got an error message. Since I'd had the problem before, I took screenshots which can be found at the bottom of the post. The last time these messages occured, each time I sent an error report to microsoft (or even if i opted not to,) it would close normally, then appear again in an endless loop. This went on until I restarted the computer. BUT, this time the error reporting did NOT loop. Also this time, I went through these 5 steps that I was recommended on the error reports.

In addition, my computer has acquired this nasty habit of completely freezing up. Any audio playing will continue going, but if it is with video, the video will stop. I see this problem most frequently when playing my legitimate copy of The Sims 2 (computer meets or exceeds all system requirements).

Any idea what's going on here? I did clean out the inside of my laptop and found a clump of dust the size of a small vending machine bouncy ball, but after clearing it out, the problems persisted.

Error screenshots:
Posted Image
Sorry for the right-to-left; they were taken on MS Paint to reserve resources in case that's the problem.

EDIT: Apparently resources aren't the problem. They shouldn't be, anyway. I left my computer idle with a few firefox tabs pulled up while I ate dinner, and I came back to find it had restarted itself again. However, there were no error messages this time, and the windows disc consistency check found no errors.

Edited by serupento, 15 July 2009 - 08:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

serupento, please:

Subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to zztoy.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click zztoy.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

Edited by Pandy, 20 July 2009 - 01:06 PM.

Computer Pro

#3 serupento

serupento
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

Thank you! Running Malware Bytes did help!
Sorry i did not subscribe to the thread.

#4 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

I am sorry but running Malwarebytes is just a start to the cleaning process. Could you please post the Malwarebytes log by going to the Malwarebytes program and then going to the files tab. Then open the log and copy and paste the contents here. This will tell us what is found, and our next action to take
Computer Pro

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

Hello

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/246052/false-virus-removal-messages-vrt2e/

We do not allow more than one topic for the same computer and the same issue as this causes confusion, and in this case may make the disinfection process more difficult.

This leaves you with a choice:

1) Have this thread reopened and the HiJack This log topic deleted

OR

2) Keep this thread closed and wait for assistance in the HiJack This log forum. Please note that that forum is VERY busy.

Please send a Private Message indicating your choice.

Assuming you wish assistance in the HiJack This forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond. Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users