Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which DVD burner to get?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dumas

dumas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

I have a Old Dell Dimension 2400 2.66 GHz 1 GB ram. Pentium 4.
It has a NEC 2100 DVD burner drive now that has started to give power calibration problems.
Trying to figure out what is the best, cheapest and most important which is compatible with this PC.

Any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

As you can see most the ide(not sata) dvd burners are sold out

I like the samsung

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....me=DVD%20Burner

Edited by DaChew, 15 July 2009 - 03:12 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

I just put the Pioneer (for $29.99 on the above link) in a build earlier this week. I've had a lot of them over the years, and they seem to be the quietest of the bunch, and I've had great reliability.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

You know...the only thing I consider when I buy an optical drive...is price.

I can't honestly say that I ever thought any one brand was "better" than another...since the early days of CD-RWs (when some truly were better).

I don't think additional features...make a drive "better", it just makes it more attractive to those prospective buyers who like (or think they would like) those features.

I also tend to think that, like VCRs used to be...most drives are made by a few manufacturers...and then distributed to various companies who paste logos, etc. on such drives and attach their names to the finished product. I've never bothered to investigate the accuracy of this suspicion but it's the way that large Japanese corporations do business (IMO).

So I just focus on getting a drive that does what I want (burn, read CDs, DVDs)...they all do that :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:46 PM

I also tend to think that, like VCRs used to be...most drives are made by a few manufacturers...and then distributed to various companies who paste logos, etc. on such drives and attach their names to the finished product. I've never bothered to investigate the accuracy of this suspicion but it's the way that large Japanese corporations do business (IMO).

I have experimented in my workshop with 3-4 dead CD-ROM drives, a CD-RW driver and recently a DVD-RW drive. They dont even have chips made by the manuacturer. I recently opened LG DVD-RW, it had chips from Panasonic and Sony components inside. I remember in a Samsung CD-RW I found, Mitsubishi chips. So its a mixup world. What was surprising is that the drives had no chip labeled LG or Samsung. Their label is only on the outside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users