Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted and now issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sun_Tzu

Sun_Tzu

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

Dell Latitude D600
XP Pro SP2

Well a short while ago, my hard drive had begun sticking so I had a stupid moment and decided to run a check disk. Well, somehow it stuck during the check disk and corrupted Windows index files. I Reinstalled Windows Via the disk that came with the computer. Well, after reinstalling Windows the computer was slow, and had several drivers missing(which are still being installed by me through the official dell website), It can now connect to the internet atleast. Anyway, programs are freezing constantly and being slow to load in general. I have not changed any of the specs of the computer other than reinstalling Windows. It has a 1.6g Processor and 1gb of ram. The computer takes 5 minutes to open from the Windows loading screen, before taking at max 2. The screens movement often lags and skips. Is this just to be expect after it not being up for almost a month or is something else wrong?

EDIT:

Also, when it is working correctly things will load fast and everything. but it is not seeming to do that much at all right now.

Edited by Sun_Tzu, 15 July 2009 - 02:23 PM.

Newest Graphic:

Just click here to see

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid I subscribe to the theory of intellectual osmosis. As such, I must now cease our conversation and move away from you before my intelligence begins to drop" - The GORD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

Probably the best thing to do...would be to run chkdsk from My Computer/Explorer, following the directions in http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget....1276030,00.html

Put check marks in both options (Automatically fix...Scan).

Reboot the system and let the command run to completion.

If the chkdsk is unable to complete...write down the exact message and post it here.

Louis

#3 Sun_Tzu

Sun_Tzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

I just remembered something that could be fairly important. When I had tried to do a complete format when I reinstalled Windows it froze the format at 86% and would not go any farther. I restarted and went to quick format and it went through.

Been sitting at 98% for about 6 minutes now on step 4/5

Edited by Sun_Tzu, 15 July 2009 - 04:09 PM.

Newest Graphic:

Just click here to see

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid I subscribe to the theory of intellectual osmosis. As such, I must now cease our conversation and move away from you before my intelligence begins to drop" - The GORD

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,846 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

Just be patient...it will either complete or give you an error message :thumbsup:.

It's not unusual for chkdsk to either restart at certain points (51%, IME) or take some time with a situation. I suspect that means that either the file is exceptionally large or there are some sort of hard drive problems being overcome.

Louis

FWIW: I generally don't use the quick format because it may leave disk situations from a prior partition, Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

#5 Sun_Tzu

Sun_Tzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

Stop c0021a Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error

EDIT:

got back onto windows before it fully loaded got BSOD

OxO00000F4 (0X0000003, 0x86693D00, 0x86693E74, 0x805FA7A8)

Edited by Sun_Tzu, 15 July 2009 - 04:58 PM.

Newest Graphic:

Just click here to see

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,846 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

Hmm...not very easy to troubleshoot at all.

Just for the sake of ruling out something...tell me what defense programa (AV, firewall, other malware) you have installed and updated.

Did you have all (there are over 100) critical updates installed which have come forth since SP2?

Since there is some indication that you may have hard drive problems...I suggest running the appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic on that drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#7 Sun_Tzu

Sun_Tzu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

Sorry for late reply but not much use in troubleshooting this anymore. Restarted the PC trying to get windows back up, it BOSD and now it is not finding the hard disc at all. Thank you for trying to help either way.
Newest Graphic:

Just click here to see

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users