Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows explorer/desktop freezing on startup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 badgerrific31

badgerrific31

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

I have an Acer Aspire laptop running Vista with an Intel Celeron, all less than a year old. Recently, when I try to boot my computer, it is taking a long time at the green progress bar screen and then again at the welcome screen. When I get to the desktop, there's a black screen instead of a desktop background, and nothing will load. No taskbar, application tray, no icons, nothing. Can't use start menu, anytime I move the mouse to that vicinity I get the little blue circle. None of the applications that used to boot come up, zip. The only, literally only thing, I am being allowed to do is to use ctrl/alt/delete. Many restarts and log-offs have done nothing. I have tried cancelling and then reloading explorer.exe in task manager, and it does the same thing. I have run various virus scans and spybot scans and nothing has changed, no problems found. I have tried system restore, but when I tried it failed, and then when I went to try again it had somehow erased all my restore points. The computer did this a week ago and system restore fixed it and it seemed fine restarting/booting since then, but now the problem is back. I didn't even restart, just came downstairs today to find, coming back from the screensaver, that it was at this screen from when the updater must have restarted the computer! As I said, there was a Windows Update last night, could that have caused this? Again, all the Windows diagnostic tools (chkdsk, memory scan, startup problems scan) have found nothing. I have even tried changing boot settings in msconfig and its made no difference. Reformatting isn't an option, I have no way right now to back up my 8000 mp3s and thousands of photos, not to mention vital Word documents. And the problem is not with the shell entry for explorer.exe under Windows NT, nothing has been altered there. I have tried everything and am at the end of my rope. Please someone help me, I don't know what to do. Also, I should note, there is NO problem whatsoever in safe mode.

Thanks in advance!

Zach

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users