Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Networking Help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hello
I have a brother who is trying to access his landlords internet connection with permission of course. He installed a wireless Linksys router in her upstairs part of the house. She has a USB connection from the back of modem to her computer. My brother ran an Ethernet cable from back of modem to the wireless router. In my brothers apt. downstairs he bought a USB wireless Ethernet connector. When he ran the CD setup on the landlords computer it said it had to update Windows. (I am assuming it is running Win 98 or maybe even Win 95)
Can my brother do anything from his end to try and get a connection seeing how everything is in place (the router and wireless USB connector on his computer)? the landlord is never home and he has a hard time catching her to make corrections.
Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated
It is an Optimum cable connection coming into the house if it maters
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

hello tpm

im having trouble following. it sounds like you have two routers.? what is her router for? he dont need a router. his pc should find HER router..

you cant run both types of connections (usb & erthernet) from one router. and i dont think you can run 2 routers from a modem.

seems to me what has to happen is hook an erthernet cable from modem to her wireless router. from router to her pc with an erthernet cable. (if router has that capability)

then his pc should be able to see her router. he MAY need a password..

hope this helps.
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

Sorry for the confusion. Only ONE router. However a USB cable is going from router to main computer because I guess she does not have a 10/100 adapter, An Ethernet cable is also going from back of modem to the wireless router. My brother in the downstairs apartment has a USB wireless ethernet adapter.

Can he try to get this going without having to download any software into the main computer? (the one with the USB connection from modem to computer. Maybe he can download it on his computer if need be

Thanks for replying

Edited by tpm, 15 July 2009 - 06:12 PM.

Tom

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

Just thought of this... Should my brother exchange his USB wireless ethernet adapter for one that plugs into his Ethernet jack on back of computer or is there no difference
Tom

#5 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

hey there

i dont think you can use BOTH type of connections. do you know the make and model of router?
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#6 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

Its a linksys but will get the model # tomorrow. You are thinking a modem cannot run a USB cable to a computer while running an ethernet cable to a router at the same time?? I don't think my brother would have any other options as the computer with the usb cable going to it does not have a network card

This networking gets very complicated :-(
Tom

#7 ab0mbs

ab0mbs

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

what i would sugest is to have your modem connect to the wireless router with an ethernet cable and have an ethernet cable running to your landlords computer and since she does not have an ethernet port use this Ethernet to USB and then to connect your brothers computer use the wireless adapter although you should prob get one that is not using the ethernet port and uses a usb port.

#8 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

I think I have a Tivo Ethernet to USB adapter to give him. I'll try it and see what happens

Thanks
Tom

#9 ab0mbs

ab0mbs

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

the only problem you might encounter with the tivo one is that there might not be drivers to use it on the computer. another thing is that if you do get a ethernet to usb make sure that the one your getting will work with the operating system your landlord has (you said it might be win 95 or 98). the other solution is to get a cheap NIC card that goes into a pci slot if her computer has an open one it might be the way to go if the ethernet to usb fails due to compatibility issues.

#10 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

Thanks ab0mbs

Knew it couldn't be that easy. I'll see what he wants to do
Tom

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:43 AM

What is the make of the modem?

Normally you can not have the USB and Ethernet connections both connected from the modem. Its one or the other. But some modems you can. But what ab0mbs suggested is what I would do if you can't have both.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 18 July 2009 - 06:47 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#12 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

Thanks cavedweller
My brother told me he got it working. He was not able to tell me what was done but he knows the landlords son came over and did something. No doubt maybe what you mentioned.
Thanks for all the help and if I should find out exactly what was done I'll pass it on

Edited by tpm, 18 July 2009 - 06:49 AM.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users