Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

double icons on taskbar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elevenguitar

elevenguitar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

Hello people-
first post here. Just found out about this site and got help to rid my system of smitfraud- scrupulously followed a long list of directions, had to improvise a step or two when things didn't quite go according to plan, even though I don't really know what i'm doing- but it worked. Thanks! (to whomever)
Now I'm left with one small minor annoyance- whether a result of this fix or inculcated by the infestation I just got rid of, I don't know.
On my taskbar (?) (strip of gray at bottom of screen) just to the right of the start button is a small area inhabited by four shortcut icons- aol, I.E., quicktime, and desktop. For some reason now this grouping is there twice, so there is much less room for temporary icons of running programs to appear down there. Right clicking on any one of these icons and deleting it does accomplish its removal, but also deltes its twin, which I had intended to leave behind. Only one icon appears in the waste bin, but restoring it resores both copies.
So- revealing massive ignorance as to basic procedures- how do I get rid of one only of these?
Thanks.
John
P.S. running windows 98, if that is needful for reply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:09 AM

Hi have you tried right click on start, then properties,then when box pops up click on task bar, you might find what you want there, i no that is how you alter it with xp trying to remember how it was done with 98's such a long time since i used it.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 elevenguitar

elevenguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:54 AM

Hi don57- Thanks for your reply- yes, I had tried that, though the right click has to be on the taskbar itself, not on the start button. Very few options are available there; none seem to apply to the prblem. -J

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:00 PM

Once again this is for XP:

Just to the right of the Start button is the Quick Launch bar.
Have you tried to disable it.
Right click Task Bar / Tool Bars / Quick launch

Also, can you right click the icon, and select Delete?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users