Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost network connectivity

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Odyssey42

Odyssey42

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

Several days ago my old Compaq P3 (W2K) lost network connectivity.

ipconfig shows

Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.141.10

Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Can't ping 169.254.141.1 get response "Request timed out"

Assuming that the return of a 169 ip address means that the computer is not receiving an IP address from the network,

I substituted other (known/thought-to-be good nic's, no cigar. Yellow light shows on card back plate.

In local area network/properties, I changed from DHCP to specific and entered:

192.168.0.115 (chose this because another computer on the n/w ends .107 and I thought this should be plenty of room) as the address for this computer

255.255.255.0 (same as the other computer)

192.168.0.1 as the gateway address.

ipconfig now shows

192.168.0.110 (don't know why the computer changed it from .115 to .110 unless maybe there is a .109 computer on the network and it just picked the next highest number.)

and nothing for the gateway.

It appears from the lack of a gateway IP # that the same thing is still happening, i.e., still not getting an IP addy from the n/w.

I assume that the router is DHCP enabled since all of the computers on this network are DHCP and working properly. Or is this possibly an unwarranted assumption? Also to the best of my knowledge,this compuer was working previously configured as DHCP.

I umplugged an ethernet cable from a working computer and substituted it for the existing cable to be sure that it isn't a cabling issue, with no improvement, so it might be either the card or the mobo. The light on the back of the ethernet card is burning steady yellow.

Or might it still be a config issue? TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

Hope I am not wasting time seeking assistance here.

I re-entered the specific IP addresses in properties of the TCP/IP this time using 192.168.0.110 as the address for the computer and 192.168.0.1 for the gateway. This time ipconfig shows those results as entered.

I can ping 192.168.0.110 OK, but times out on 192.168.0.1. What, if any, is the significance of being able to ping itself?

I then went into the device manager and there is a yellow question mark in front of each of "Other Devices" and "ATM Network Manager" (under Other Devices). Clicking on Properties, the General tab shows:

"The Drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Drivers"

I clicked and of course it could not find the drivers. How do I go about determining which drivers are needed and how to find them?

P.S. Yesterday, from memory, I described this computer as running W2K. Turns out it is XP. So much for my memory.

#3 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:08 AM

There appears to be quite a bit of activity in this forum. Can anyone make a suggestion please?

#4 ab0mbs

ab0mbs

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

are you connected via wireless or are you wired? and check your device manager under network adapters and check whats installed and see if any have a red x on any of the adapters. basically it sounds like your not connecting to the router due to you receiving an autoconfiguration IP and you can ping the gateway but can ping yourself. i would try turning on automatic ip settings and then in command prompt do an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

hope this helps

#5 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for yours,

Wired, no wireless on this compurter

Dev Mgr shows yellow qustion mark in front of each of "Other Devices" and "ATM Network Manager" (under Other Devices). Clicking on Properties, the General tab shows:

"The Drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Drivers"

I clicked and of course it could not find the drivers. How do I go about determining which drivers are needed and how to find them?

Are the drivers for the NIC or the OS? Not sure what the "ATM Network Manager" is. Can you help me?

".. you can ping the gateway but can ping yourself.." I trust this should have been " you canNOT ping the gateway but can ping yourself"?

I had already turned on automatic ip settings and then done an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew. It always returns a 169.x.y.z for my computer unless I manually put in a 192. address for this computer and the gateway. Even when the gateway shows correctly in ipconfig, it times out when I try to ping the gateway.

Since I have a steady yellow light and I can ping myself, I think that the hardware is OK, so it is either a config issue, missing driver, or cabling. I tend to rule out the latter because I can unplug the ethernet cable from another adjacent computer (which connects perfectly) and plug it into the problem computer but cannot connect. Also I question how the computer can ping itself if it is a missing driver. So config? Where?

#6 ab0mbs

ab0mbs

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

let me try and find you a driver. is there any specific model number you can give me from the computer

Edited by ab0mbs, 16 July 2009 - 11:44 AM.

#7 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

Apologies for the delay occasioned by dog problem.

I went into Device Manager again and noticed that just above "Other Devices" under which is the "ATM Network Controller" that I mentioned yesterday having a yellow question mark, is "Network Adapters" under which is listed:

3Com ethernet XL 10/100 for complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX) #2

Clicking on properties shows the device is working properly. I'm confused.

The ATM Network Controller listed under Other Devices shows to be in PCI slot 1 and the 2Com shows to be in slot 2. When I started this exercise the card was in slot 1 and I moved it to slot 2 as part of my trial and error.

So it looks like the computer is looking for the card in slot 1 and not finding it showing it to be missing the drivers? Should I disable it? And if so, what next?

#8 ab0mbs

ab0mbs

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

are you using the ethernet port from onboard or are you using an add-on NIC card

#9 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

NIC Card

#10 ab0mbs

ab0mbs

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

i would try reinstalling the drivers for the card and if that doesn't work your card might be bad or your pci slots might have gone bad

#11 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

Apologies for the ongoing interruptions in my life preventing me from staying on this continuously.

I moved the card back to slot 1 with no perceptible changes resulting. Yellow light still on, no change in the Device Manager output (i.e., NIC card stated to be operating properly and yellow question mark in front of both "Other Devices" and "Other Devices/ATM Network Controller"

Does anyone know what a "ATM Network Controller" actually is?

I have disabled the NIC card and restarted the computer. Now with the card disabled, ipconfig shows no output whatsoever. This would tend to cause me to imagine that the card is OK.

Also, Device Manger is the same with the exception that there are red X's through both the description of the network card and "ATM network controller"

What do you glean from this, if anything, and what next?

(Since that hasn't resolved the problem I will now re-enable it and restart ).

#12 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

Hoping for ideas please

#13 ab0mbs

ab0mbs

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

Who makes the card

#14 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

I assume from the description of the NIC card given above

"3Com ethernet XL 10/100 for complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)"

that it is 3Com. Could this have been made under a 3Com license by another vendor?

#15 ab0mbs

ab0mbs

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

I would suggest uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them From Here. just uninstall the drivers from the entry under network adapters in the device manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users