Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build - Check it Out!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Shawshankya

Shawshankya

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:09 AM

Hey all I'm new here. I am going to start building a computer soon and wanted to see what you all thought of it so far. I want to keep it around $800 as much as possible. Here is what I have so far:

Case: link

MoBo: link

CPU: link

GPU: link

RAM: link

PSU: link

HDD: link

CPU Cooler: link

Thermal Compound: link

Let me know what you guys think or if I should change anything so far. I know I can get the case about $30 cheaper at zipzoomfly.com right now.

Edited by Shawshankya, 15 July 2009 - 09:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

Looks good. There are only 2 things I would like to point out.

Number one being the case -- Its a mid tower. Im not saying it will not work, but you need to make sure all your parts will fit in their. Get the dimensions of the case and your motherboard and video card. Make sure you can fit that card and board in there or else you will have to buy a biger case. I bought a mid tower not knowing this, but luckily everything fits.

number two is the PSU -- I would recommend getting a 650watt for upgrades in the future... you are going to want that six core or eight core right? You will need a bigger PSU. But 600watts is effective for that machine.

Other thought: Nice card, I got the same one.

#3 Shawshankya

Shawshankya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:11 PM

Looks good. There are only 2 things I would like to point out.

Number one being the case -- Its a mid tower. Im not saying it will not work, but you need to make sure all your parts will fit in their. Get the dimensions of the case and your motherboard and video card. Make sure you can fit that card and board in there or else you will have to buy a biger case. I bought a mid tower not knowing this, but luckily everything fits.

number two is the PSU -- I would recommend getting a 650watt for upgrades in the future... you are going to want that six core or eight core right? You will need a bigger PSU. But 600watts is effective for that machine.

Other thought: Nice card, I got the same one.

Good info - I will check out the specs to make sure everything fits.

Why 650W? I mean how do you know? Do you just look at the power draws for each component and add them all up?

Thanks might go with the 4890 but will prolly stick with the 4870

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

"I would recommend getting a 650watt for upgrades in the future... you are going to want that six core or eight core right? You will need a bigger PSU. But 600watts is effective for that machine."

I just installed a OCZ StealthXstream 700W in mine.

While doing the research I read a couple of reviews on the StealthXstream 600W from different sites .
One of them was on Hardware Secrets.
They did a very good review of it.
It is actually made by Fortron [FSP]
It is a "true" 600W PSU ,meaning it will put out a continus 600W, not just "peak" at 600>W .
It will out perfom most "650W" PSU as most are rated by "peak" power , not continus power.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/451
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Shawshankya

Shawshankya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

Thats good to know! So will the 600W PSU be able to power 2 4870's down the road if I want to upgrade?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

According to what I read it has 4 12V rails.
It is one of the few PSU that has the PCI-E connectors arranged properly on the rails to actually run 2 video cards without a issue.

I personally can't guarantee it will run 2 4870's but I can say it should.

The only reason I got the 700W is it was on sale with free shipping & a rebate.
As a matter of fact, I sent for the rebate this morning. :thumbsup:

Here is the deal I got,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341019

The reason I did so much research was I was suspicious of the deal being "too good" .

From everything I could find my suspicions were unwarranted .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 15 July 2009 - 02:25 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

It looks good, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

The case is very expensive for a steel one. You are getting a mid ATX case, those cases are a little small and often cannot hold large cooling systems or long graphics cards. From what I've seen, aluminum cases are often better made and the ones without side windows are quieter.

The motherboard and processor are nice, but the AM2/AM2+ series of CPU's and boards are being phased out in favor of AM3 boards and CPUs. That said, the ASRock M3A780GXH/128M AM3 AMD 780G is less expensive and has many of the features as your original board. The only catch is the chipset is a little older and it allows for AM3 processors. If you get an AM3 board, you need an AM3 CPU and DDR3 memory. The AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz is more expensive but a better performer. AM3 boards require DDR3, such as the Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333.

Good choice on the GPU but the HD 4890 is a refresh of the 4870 and is a slightly better performer.

You also don't need a CPU cooler as it is already in the CPU box and the one you have chosen is very large and may not fit all mid ATX cases. Thermal compound is also not needed as it comes pre-applied to the CPU cooler in the CPU box and also comes pre-applied on many aftermarket heatsink and fan units.

Edited by DJBPace07, 15 July 2009 - 07:03 PM.

3939.png

#8 Shawshankya

Shawshankya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

It looks good, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

The case is very expensive for a steel one. You are getting a mid ATX case, those cases are a little small and often cannot hold large cooling systems or long graphics cards. From what I've seen, aluminum cases are often better made and the ones without side windows are quieter.

The motherboard and processor are nice, but the AM2/AM2+ series of CPU's and boards are being phased out in favor of AM3 boards and CPUs. That said, the ASRock M3A780GXH/128M AM3 AMD 780G is less expensive and has many of the features as your original board. The only catch is the chipset is a little older and it allows for AM3 processors. If you get an AM3 board, you need an AM3 CPU and DDR3 memory. The AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz is more expensive but a better performer. AM3 boards require DDR3, such as the Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333.

Good choice on the GPU but the HD 4890 is a refresh of the 4870 and is a slightly better performer.

You also don't need a CPU cooler as it is already in the CPU box and the one you have chosen is very large and may not fit all mid ATX cases. Thermal compound is also not needed as it comes pre-applied to the CPU cooler in the CPU box and also comes pre-applied on many aftermarket heatsink and fan units.

So you think I should go with an AM3 motherboard then? That would be the best choice if I were to upgrade in a couple years I am assuming. The motherboard you have picked has video built in, which I don't really need...what about this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128392

I think I will stick with the 4870. If I need better performance in the future I can get another one and crossfire it. If I keep getting the next best thing for just a little more money this build will get outa hand fast lol and my wife will kick my ass.

I know the proc comes with one but if I want to OC then I want something of better quality than the original.

Thanks for the input DJB - you might have just changed my whole build with the AM3 information!!! :thumbsup:

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

It is always wise to get the newest technology you can even if you don't think you need it at the moment.
By buying a motherboard that allows for upgrades later you can save some $ .
In a couple of years there will be new CPU's & the board you buy today will more then likely run at least some with a BIOS update.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

The board you chose, the GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P, is a good board but there is only one PCI-express x16 slot, so Crossfire is out. The Gigabyte also uses a slightly older chipset, but that shouldn't cause issues. Some of the AMD chipsets have on-board video included but it is easy to disable. Originally, I chose the ASRock board for two reasons: three PCI-express x16 slots and its ability to use the very new Phenom II 955 out-of-the-box. Until recently, the Gigabyte board did not allow for this processor to be used without a BIOS update, but it seems as though Newegg is shipping units with that BIOS built-in. If you are going to overclock that processor you should get an aftermarket heatsink and fan unit but do keep the size of your case in mind. The Phenom II 955 is a Black Edition so it is easy to overclock. From what I hear, this processor can OC very well with proper cooling.

3939.png

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:34 AM

" the GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P, is a good board but there is only one PCI-express x16 slot, so Crossfire is out. "

If you truly feel the need for dual video cards get a single X2 card which will perform as well as "crossfire" ,

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/dis...-crossfire.html

#12 Shawshankya

Shawshankya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

The board you chose, the GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P, is a good board but there is only one PCI-express x16 slot, so Crossfire is out. The Gigabyte also uses a slightly older chipset, but that shouldn't cause issues. Some of the AMD chipsets have on-board video included but it is easy to disable. Originally, I chose the ASRock board for two reasons: three PCI-express x16 slots and its ability to use the very new Phenom II 955 out-of-the-box. Until recently, the Gigabyte board did not allow for this processor to be used without a BIOS update, but it seems as though Newegg is shipping units with that BIOS built-in. If you are going to overclock that processor you should get an aftermarket heatsink and fan unit but do keep the size of your case in mind. The Phenom II 955 is a Black Edition so it is easy to overclock. From what I hear, this processor can OC very well with proper cooling.

I wish I knew more about motherboards...when I go to pick one out at newegg, I have no idea why one AM3 board is $80 vs another that is $180. Are the PCI-express x16 slots just for video cards? I definitely want one that has the latest BIOS and ready to go when I get it.

#13 Shawshankya

Shawshankya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

" the GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P, is a good board but there is only one PCI-express x16 slot, so Crossfire is out. "

If you truly feel the need for dual video cards get a single X2 card which will perform as well as "crossfire" ,

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/dis...-crossfire.html

Well I don't feel the need right now and I don't wanna spend the money for the X2....but later down the road if I wanted to get another one - see what I'm saying?

#14 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

From what I have read unless you are going to spend the big bucks for 2 top of the line video cards to use "crossfire" you will get better performance with 1 really good card as opposed to 2 lesser cards in crossfire.
Most people think that if they have 2 video cards thier video performance is going to be doubled.
That is not the case.
From what I have read 2 GOOD video cards in crossfire will give roughly a 25% increase in video performance.
Not a cost effective gain !

As for the idea of buying 1 video card now & another later for crossfire , usually , by the time "later" rolls around there will be newer video cards & 1 of them will out perform the 2 older cards in crossfire.

If you can not afford, or just don't want to spend the money on, a matched set of good video cards [wich will cost as much , if not more then a X2] I suggest you get the best single video card you can & let it ride.

As for why some motherboards cost more then others,
Some have features others don't .
Features cost $
I went from a $80. board to a &120. board just to get RAID.

Also, "mainstream" boards cost less then high end "enthusiest" boards aimed at "hard core" gamers & overclockers.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 17 July 2009 - 02:34 PM.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

The PCI-Express x16 slots are primarily used for video cards, but other PCI-Express devices, such as audio cards, are also compatible with them. I agree with fairjoe in multi graphics card setups, unless you have a high-end system, or are planning on upgrading to one, Crossfire/SLI is only good with higher-end graphics cards. Not all games scale that well with multiple graphics cards and most users are better off running a high end card instead of two. However, some games do scale very well and the added cards can be beneficial. Both the ASRock and the Gigabyte boards are good and come from respected companies, the main difference between the two is the PCI-Express x16 slots and the fact that the ASRock board only takes AM3 processors.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users