Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 vs. 64

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 atloss

atloss

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:44 AM

I have Win XP 32 bit O.S.. My computer has 4 Gb of Ram but only 2.75 of which is recognized by Windows. How can I get all 4 Gb re cognized or if I want to add more RAM ( my computer can handle 16Gb )?? Also is it ONLY Windows that doesn't recognize the additional Ram or do any games I have also not recognize the additional RAM ?? Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

Hi! :thumbsup:

How can I get all 4 Gb re cognized

Switch to a 64-bit OS

or if I want to add more RAM ( my computer can handle 16Gb )??

In theory, yes. If you read here, you'll see that 64 bit OS's can handle 16 exabytes of RAM. For all intensive purposes.. infinite RAM. I'm not sure whether your motherboard has enough slots for 16 GB of RAM (you'll need to check that for yourself). However, even though I use 8GB, anything more than 4 GB for XP is overdoing it.

Also is it ONLY Windows that doesn't recognize the additional Ram or do any games I have also not recognize the additional RAM ??

Some older games will have trouble (good example, Counter Strike: Condition Zero) will give you an error if you're using a 640bit architecture. So, hence, it's Windows and in-turn the games that do not recognize the RAM.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users