Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MotherBoard Death

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:09 AM

Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop, 1G RAM, 250G Hard Drive (Or something a bit lower than that,) and a standard Dell Motherboard. Now, recently, had to fix my friends iPod 5G (iPod with video,) and it had a corrupted hard drive. Now, I had it plugged in in disk mode, and my computer, upon pressing the ON button, would not go past the Dell screen (motherboard screen.) I almost instantly unplugged the iPod, and tried to power on again. And then I blamed my faulty keyboard. I had recently (the night before) accidentaly gotten some water on the keyboard because my water bottle exploded when I opened it. I though my computer would not boot without a keyboard. Now my computer is in a shop in my town (not Dell, just a Custom PC Repair place,) and I have no access to it, and I'm hoping it's under warranty, so the MoBo will be free. Not putting my hopes up though. Oh, and I forgot to mention, my Operating System is Windows XP SP3. When my computer was working, and I was fixing the iPod, I tried re-formatting the iPod when it was in disk mode, and I think that did the problem, becuase it wouldn't go. I unplugged the iPod while the status had been sitting on nothing for like 5 minutes. Same thing the second time, only this time I did a quick format. And I did it with Windows Format Tool or whatever it is in XP. I just want (NEED) to know why my MoBo would crap out over this, or if it's a seperate issue, like the hard drive.

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 15 July 2009 - 08:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

If your motherboard is indeed toast, it is extremely unlikely that the iPod caused it to die. If water somehow got into your tower when your bottle exploded, that could definitely cause failure in a number of components.

Since you don't have access to the system it's going to be extremely difficult to do much diagnosis; pretty much everything will be pure conjecture.

But let's see what we can figure out.

How old is the system?
Have you had any hardware troubles in the past? If so, what were they?

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:36 AM

No real problems... had to re-load Windows cause i Screwed up (LOL.) The person who helped me reload Windows said that I might have Motherboard damage, cause I told him sometimes the computer would be stuck on Dell screen. This was about maybe 6-9 months ago, no real probs after that. No water in the tower either. Thing was working just fine the night the water got to the keyboard, and MoBo crapped out the next morning. I even bought a new keyboard!!! Well, the wireless one I had was crap anyway. I really put this topic on Bleeping Computer because the guy who has the shop in town, well, I don't like him too much. The computer is a year or so old... I got it at MicroCenter in Cambridge, MA.

Edited by SteinPooch, 15 July 2009 - 06:39 AM.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

(Referring to after you started experiencing boot failure). Did the computer do anything unusual when you started it? Beeping noises coming from the tower would be particularly helpful.

Also. . . system age? :thumbsup:

Edited by Blade Zephon, 15 July 2009 - 06:45 AM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

I really do hate computers..... The computer just sits there doing nothing. Could be something as simple as RAM not being plugged in or something.... I hope.

Edited by SteinPooch, 15 July 2009 - 06:46 AM.

#6 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:43 AM

um... it makes a noise when it boots up. just a sortah loud beep, but it's always done that. I think. it beeps, then I hear something like the hard drive or something, but when I turn the screen on, it's just stuck at the Dell BIOS Screen.

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:46 AM

could you access the BIOS? (F2 at startup)

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#8 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

No. No F2, or F12. Nothing responds. The only thing that works is turning the damn thing off. And also... um... at the shutdown before boot failures happened, Windows would not shut down, so I held the power button. could that be doing this too? Like, it was saying "WINDOWS is shutting down...." but nothing was happening. I think it was the corrupted iPod Driver, not sure, My computer is very fragile.

#9 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

Unfortunately. . . without access to the computer I really can't think of anything. :thumbsup: Let me know how it turns out, or whenever you get your computer back.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

You may be interested in: Avira AntiVir Rescue System - http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_a...cue_system.html

I've never used it but...it's a free tool that might be useful for some.

Louis

#11 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for your help, Blade Zephon, and for the Avira tool, hamluis. The guy at the computer shop called and said he wanted to ask me some questions about my computer, so I guess I'll be doing that Monday. Thanks for all your help!!!!!! I think it's fair to say that this topic can be closed... for now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users