Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, failed upgrade, laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GarryB

GarryB

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:43 AM

Hi.

Daughter's laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6400 running Vista Home Basic. I very rarely see it as she's usually in her bedroom chatting to her mates on it. However, she brought it to me yesterday. Apparently a Windows upgrade had been applied to her laptop, and at the next boot, wouldn't work. We got the options for Recover Vista, but that stuck at about 50000 files (of 90000) in on a registry entry failure (sorry can't remember which one, for reasons that will become obvious). The only option was to hard boot the PC.

Trying to get into safe mode failed at the crcdisk.sys file, which I believe is a cyclical redundancy, disk error? I have a Windows Vista disk (albeit Dell branded) and that started to do the recovery, but again failed. Finally, I am now getting the 0x0000C1F5 blue screen of death on every attempted Vista boot (but not on the XP boot I did) for which Microsoft haven't issued a fix for. I therefore haven't been able to restore from a restore point prior to the upgrade.

It seems that the only solution is a reinstall, which I am loath to do because I haven't yet recovered my daughter's documents.

So I have a few options which I'd like an opinion on the best way to proceed?

1) Boot from a Linux disk and fix the $TxfLog file which apparently is causing the BSOD. However, this probably won't sort the upgrade issue nor the inability to get into Safe Mode.

2) Boot from something like BartPE and try a chkdsk fix on the hard drive. I guess that might also give me a chance to hook up a USB drive and copy her documents off the system prior to a wipe and reinstall.

The final one is use my Windows XP disk (or whatever) and wipe the drive and reinstall.

Help anyone?!?

Edited by GarryB, 15 July 2009 - 04:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GarryB

GarryB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:52 AM

Now sorted. I fixed the BSOD issue through Linux, but still got no boots or system restores to work. Annoyingly, I did get a restore from a restore point to work, except it hung at the 'finalizing files' screen, with no disc activity for at least an hour. I did a chkdsk from the recovery console, no errors, then copied all the documents and settings to a removable drive, and reinstalled the factory image from the other partition. There didn't seem to be any other choice, and a quick review of the internet seems to suggest this is a common-ish problem that can only be fixed by a reinstall. Everything seems fine at the moment, except the hundreds of download updates and programs that need doing!

Edited by GarryB, 16 July 2009 - 03:54 AM.

#3 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:44 PM

I used Knoppix to try and save some files on my C:\ but it wouldnt let me, is it easy for you to tell me what linux cd should I use for NTFS disk?

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users