Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help required to retrieve hidden folders & files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 James Kurian

James Kurian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:27 AM

Dear all,

I recently changed the status of some of the folders as " HIDDEN ", but i really forgot the locations for many of them where they've been saved.

I tried to view the hidden folders by going to " TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW>SHOW HIDDEN FOLDERS & FILES, but of no use, and those folders still remains HIDDEN.

I tried to type the location for one of the Hidden Folders which i remember and that clicked and i was able to access that HIDDEn folder only. I really forgot the locations of the other few folders, which i need to access.

Is there some one who can help me out to resolve the issue.

James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:23 AM

If you have an "idea" of where they are, you can go to a command prompt and type "attrib" and it will list all files and folders with a letter designation after it of:

H - Hidden
R - Read-only
S - System
A - Archive

You are looking for any of the "H's". Once you find them you can then use attrib to unhide them by typing "attrib -h "filename"" ( without any of the quotes of course ).

You will then be able to view it through explorer.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users