Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom XP Installation Media

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Twisted Image

Twisted Image

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:22 AM

I have XP media I've been using for installations, that include SP3, and a nice bulk of the hotfixes slipstreamed using HFSLIP. The unattend has been largely created with nLite (excepting auto-partitioning and formatting options to speed through text setup). My issue is this: There appear to be a small spattering of hotfixes that cannot be slipstreamed for whatever reason, but can be passively installed to an active installation of XP w/ SP3. I also would like to include some custom software in my installation that is also installable with a passive switch. I cannot seem to figure out the damned $OEM$ part of the setup though. I packaged up my updates (along with a batch file to slipstream them) using iexpress into a self-extracting and installing EXE. I tried every method I have read, and even modeled my package deployment and subsequent execution after a DELL OEM disc's $OEM$ folder, even going so far as to use a DELL OEM disc as my base for the job, renaming my files to match theirs in the $OEM$ folder, and replacing. Unfortunately, when setup is complete, my EXE file does not execute on first boot as I have set up through nLite or even manually in the unattend files. The reason is that, although it created the folder I wanted (%SYSTEMDRIVE%\CCCMD), it did not copy my EXE file into it. I even tried (figuring maybe there was some glitch that didn't allow EXE files to be moved in this fashion) making my package into an MSI or BAT format, and nothing. I even tried it with JPGs just to see if it would work. I can get my BAT file to execute during setup that will create folders, execute files, rename things, whatever... it just refuses to copy anything for me... Any idea what may be preventing this? I have tried using OEM and Retail editions as my base, and have tried even using a SP0 disc and packaging ALL the SP's and updates in an EXE in case it was a glitch with the initial SP slipstream, but am getting nowhere.

If it matters, all the updates were downloaded from WUD and from Technet (figuring maybe it could even be the updates themselves). If someone could give me a better example of the $OEM$ folder execution model, and how to deploy and execute a hotfix package on first boot, I'd appreciate it. It would really cut down on my bench time...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:20 AM

Lets assume your CD-DVD drive is D:

1. Create a folder D:\$OEM$\$1\updates. Copy all your XP updates executable in it.

2. Create a folder D:\$OEM$\$1\batp. Put qchain.exe and batpatcher.exe in this folder.

3. Create a file run.cmd in D:\$OEM$\$1\batp with following contents:

@echo off
%systemdrive%\batp\batpatcher %systemdrive%\updates /RESTART
del /Q %systemdrive%\updates
del /Q %systemdrive%\batp
rd %systemdrive%\updates
rd %systemdrive%\batp
EXIT

4. In D:\i386\Winnt.sif, add this section and line :

[GuiRunOnce]
Command0="%systemdrive%\batp\run.cmd

I do not know if after update the folders would be cleaned up or not. Check the batch file. BC experts what do you say?

Download qchain: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815062
Download batchpather: From the attachment.

Edited by Romeo29, 15 July 2009 - 06:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users