Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE, Firefox Crash...Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adamyosim

adamyosim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

My computer (Thinkpad Z61t) has been freezing at somewhat random points for the past few days.

I've noticed that this usually happens when I am using my primary browser, Firefox.

My computer will freeze sometimes when I am scrolling up or down a page. When this happens, my touchpoint feature on the laptop will stop working but the laptop's navigation pad will.

An attempt to access the task manager via Ctrl Alt Delete proves futile - it just returns to my desktop but a lot of the icons are gone.

I've noticed that Internet Explorer, which I rarely use, crashes also. It pops up with the "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close..." box.

I uninstalled IE version 8 and rolled back to 7, but the same thing happens.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

There are many possible causes. There is a checklist of things to do in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

DOwnload Malwarebytes Antimalware - maybe its something like that hooked on your browsers. You can find it here: www.malwarebytes.org and do a quick scan :thumbsup:

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

#4 Rebecca.

Rebecca.

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

This could be one of many problems, but one may be your firewall. Make sure you always have it on, because, remember, Trojans and such can cause problems with internet browsers and slowing of computers. If you must, uninstall your current anti-virus software and replace it with something that may be more secure. Trust me, nothing is the matter with Firefox. I'm using it right now, and I'm perfectly fine. My personal anti-virus software preference would be AVG free 8.5, which includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, e-mail scanner, ID protection (optional), license, link scanner, resident shield, and an update manager. And, there is always Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which is a great scanner and is highly preferred. It's guaranteed to do you and your computer some good. I have both, and trust me, together, they work greatly. Just always make sure to update them/scan for updates on a regular basis.

Or, this could be something with one of your ports. Always run scans, at least once a day or once every other day to make sure there aren't any Trojans or other infectious items coming in through an open port.

Just remember to keep your eyes open for anything weird/any infections you see in any files or you see come up in your results after scanning. Trojans and other infections are one of the main causes for strange computer behavior and this may be your problem. If you have any other questions, you can surely ask me. I may be able to help.
-Rebecca

And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users