Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with blogger coding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bumdark

Bumdark

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

Hi! I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can help. I've already searched these forums for answers but didn't find anything.

My question is a fairly simple one. I'm using Blogger for my blog and I've already modified my blog template (the original Minima template) extensively. Now, I'm wondering if it's possible to change the " Previous / Next " links at the top and bottom of blog posts, into the previous/next page's title. The only example I can think of would be a ScienceBlogs blog such as Pharyngula, where the links are displayed as " This is the title of the previous post | Main | This is the title of the next post ". I've already changed the original texts of "Older Post / Newer Post" to " Previous / Next ".

Is this even possible? And if so, please help this HTML-deficient noob. =(

What I do know: this is the relevant portion of the template HTML code:

<b:includable id='nextprev'>  <div class='blog-pager' id='blog-pager'>     <b:if cond='data:newerPageUrl'>      <span id='blog-pager-newer-link'>        <a class='blog-pager-newer-link' expr:href='data:newerPageUrl' expr:id='data:widget.instanceId + "_blog-pager-newer-link"' expr:title='data:newerPageTitle'>Next Post </a>      </span>    </b:if>    <b:if cond='data:olderPageUrl'>      <span id='blog-pager-older-link'>        <a class='blog-pager-older-link' expr:href='data:olderPageUrl' expr:id='data:widget.instanceId + "_blog-pager-older-link"' expr:title='data:olderPageTitle'> Previous Post</a>      </span>    </b:if>    <b:if cond='data:blog.homepageUrl != data:blog.url'>      <a class='home-link' expr:href='data:blog.homepageUrl'>        <data:homeMsg/>      </a>    <b:else/>    <b:if cond='data:newerPageUrl'>      <a class='home-link' expr:href='data:blog.homepageUrl'>        <data:homeMsg/>      </a>    </b:if>  </b:if></div><div class='clear'/></b:includable>

The red bits are the parts I've already modified; they are the visible link texts.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If anyone needs more info, I'll be happy to provide. Thanks in advance.
'Foreman's not as easy as Cameron. But of course, who is?'
'I'm in the room!'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

Yes it is possible, but unless you are reasonably versed in PHP, which I am assuming that is what the underlying technology is, then you will not be able to. All you need is an array that holds all of the names of the blog posts, and a pointer to keep track of where you are in the list. Then instead of "Next page" or "Previous Page", you would use your custom code to insert the names of the posts. It can not be done with HTML at all. It would also be possible to use Javascript, JSON, and AJAX to do the same thing.

#3 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

Dang. =( I'm afraid I'm not nearly well-versed enough to start dabbling in PHP (hell, I barely even know what that is), so I guess that's it for now ... unless I'm ridiculously lucky and find something on the Net, but I've already searched Google and couldn't find anyone anywhere explaining how to do it.

Thanks anyway. =)
'Foreman's not as easy as Cameron. But of course, who is?'
'I'm in the room!'

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

The thing is, unless you have some programming experience, you wouldn't even begin to understand what you were being told. On the other side, if you did know enough to understand how to do it, you wouldn't need anyone to do it for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users