Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wizard cannot find your network hardware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joshgibson2009

joshgibson2009

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

Hey there, firstly i'd like to say i really respect what you guys do helping all the clueless peeps like me, i've had various problems before and have solved them all through searching help threads here.

Recently my system had been playing up, random restarts, long boots, incredibly slugish and i was recommended to do a reformat of windows xp. Which i went ahead and did no problem. Now with the fresh system i am unable to make any connection to the internet.

When i go into the network setup wizard it says "The wizard cannot find your network hardware".

I use a router with a ethernet cable.
The cable is fine.
I've read around and hear i may need to install network drivers. Which i dont have a disk for.
I have no idea where to locate these drivers or what i need to download specificly
My motherboard is a "ECS 945G-M3 V3.0 Socket 775 Core 2 Duo Ready FSB1066 DDR2 Onboard Audio mATX"

Any assistance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I really have little knowledge of what i should be doing.

Thanks - A tired Josh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

Go to "system then hardware the device manager" if it does not shop there then go tot add & remove hardware, let the system try to find it. If the system does not find it try to go back and select it from the list, take your time it is not as hard as it may seem. Another point!!! You may need a driver, many drivers are available on the net from the maker, you will need the make/model number.
Added note if you find the net card in the device manager but with a yellow asterisk, right click a panel will open click on driver and try the update feature the driver may be on your windows disk!

Edited by OldPhil, 14 July 2009 - 05:43 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

All drivers at http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Downloads...D=6&LanID=9

I would try the item reflecting:

Driver Name Realtek 10/100/1000 PCI NIC Family Driver
Version 6.73

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/trip-driver,364-4.html

Louis

#4 joshgibson2009

joshgibson2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

Thankyou for the fast replies.

I do some tinkering and get back to you asap.

Anyone else with any other suggestions in the meanwhile would be great.

Josh.

#5 joshgibson2009

joshgibson2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

Ok looking in the device manager as advised by Oldphil it has become apparent that there are no drivers installed for the following -

Audio Device on High definition audio bus
Ethernet Controller
SM BUS Controller
Video Controller

Thoughts and advice on how to fix this? I apologize for my awful lack in knowledge ><

A slightly enthused Josh.

Edit - I went ahead and tinkered with what hamluis advised and now i have internet! I'm so very grateful for the help!

Would anyone be able to offer advice on whether i need drivers for the 3 other devices and where i could locate them?

An extremely happy Josh.

2nd edit - Video controller is checked off as i installed my nvidia driver for that ;)

Edited by joshgibson2009, 14 July 2009 - 08:21 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:06 AM

The SM bus driver should be in the chipset drivers available at the link I posted before...same for the audio drivers.

Louis

#7 Sun_Tzu

Sun_Tzu

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:44 AM

I am having this same issue after restoring my laptop, is it possible to just use a flash drive from this desktop which reaches the internet, to download and transfer the Drivers over, and also, my list of non-installed drivers also has a PCI Modem, Network Controller, O2Micro SmartcardBus_Reader, Is the Smartcardbus the same as the SM Bus? Sorry for posting on your thread but Figured it would be better to not start a new thread when this one already exists on the same issue.

EDIT:

I Tried using the drivers you linked and nothing has happened, Probably unrelated, when I try to manually install drivers the wizard for it freezes and goes to not responding.

EDIT again:
I am trying the drivers from Dell now(shoulda mentioned its a dell Latitude D600 laptop)

Edited by Sun_Tzu, 15 July 2009 - 12:04 PM.

Newest Graphic:

Just click here to see

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid I subscribe to the theory of intellectual osmosis. As such, I must now cease our conversation and move away from you before my intelligence begins to drop" - The GORD

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users