Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Calling to Cancel AOL

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spookyfish

spookyfish

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:53 PM

We are FINALLY leaving AOL and I was just wondering if anyone knows what they ask you when you call to cancel. The reason I ask is because my brother is the one with the primary master screen name, my mom is the one being billed, and I'd like to know if there's any information I need to get from them beforehand. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:19 PM

Well I think you would need to have your mom's phone number maybe.. the user name of the account and info from one of the bills handy.. and the account password. I can't think of anything else but I could be wrong spookyfish.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:23 PM

We are FINALLY leaving AOL and I was just wondering if anyone knows what they ask you when you call to cancel. The reason I ask is because my brother is the one with the primary master screen name, my mom is the one being billed, and I'd like to know if there's any information I need to get from them beforehand. Thanks!

Be sure to check your mothers billing from AOL for at least 6 months after canceling as they love to continue charging and sometimes double charging you.

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

I should have added that you will need to have the patience of a Saint because they won't understand at first.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:30 PM

Oh I have had to cancel from AOL before. They throw a lot of offers at you. At first the lady told me she would give me a month to think about whether or not I really wanted to cancel. Then she said I would get 3 when I told her I didn't gives a rat's ass. I was finally just like "Lady cancel my AOL or I will call the BBB and get you in some trouble"

#6 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

I should have added that you will need to have the patience of a Saint because they won't understand at first.

And they will try to offer you netscape service or wal-mart service both are AOL umm I think they offered Netzero plus many more. I had to threaten a lawsuit in order to get my overcharges back from them. They still wouldn't until I went to the Better Business Bureau where countless others have also been to complain about AOL. They then tried to get me to use thier "software" on my new broadband service to which I declined.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

LOL Yes, be prepared. They are relentless. And will try and keep you on the phone forever. Sales pitch after sales pitch. I would of just hung up. Had I not wanted to be rid of AOL once and for good.
Posted Image

#8 spookyfish

spookyfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:32 AM

Thanks a lot for all the tips and information. I've been "training" for the actual call by reading experiences that other people have had. I'll let you all know how it goes...once I get up the courage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users