Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring an internal drive without data loss.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 festa79

festa79

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

Iím about to build a new system running XP64 and would like to know if it is possible to transfer an internal (SATA) drive, which is purely used as storage from my old system running XP 32 without having to reformat it and retaining access to the already written data which is quite a considerable amount (approx 750 Gb) and would be exceedingly tedious to burn to DVD.

I should emphasize I will be installing the system on a different drive, not this one which is purely for the purpose of data storage.

Is this something only possible with an external drive, or can it be done with an internal drive? Could it be done between two systems running identical OSís but not between an XP32 and an XP64 system? Is there some kind of application I need to perform this task?

Or am I worrying about nothing and will it be as simple as plug and play between the two systems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

<<Or am I worrying about nothing and will it be as simple as plug and play between the two systems?>>

As long as you have SATA motherboard connectors or a SATA controller card smf SATA connections on the PSU...I see no problem :thumbsup:.

A storage drive is just...a storage drive....can be moved from system to system, as long as there are no drive defects.

Louis

#3 festa79

festa79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

The hard drive will be brand new so shouldn't pose any problems.

What is a SATA controller card smf?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

Google...is your friend :thumbsup:.

And...more accurate in describing, illustrating, etc.

Louis

#5 aliannahfth

aliannahfth

• Banned
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:46 PM

Great Informative!

#6 festa79

festa79
  • Topic Starter