Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cheappp little netbook

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lolokittyy

lolokittyy

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

I really want a cute little pink one.

I don't do much on the computer just basically play around on yahoo answers and stuff. sometimes shop and download music for my jambox.

I saw a pink little like this one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=11082474

and i want it.

So i can stop using my dads virus magnate.

BUUUT i've heard these net books aren't any good.
I don't need a fancy computer or anything but i don't want to buy crud.

Are these net books any good ?

If not what should I get ?

It doesn't have to be a laptop either. I actually hate the mouse thingy for them so it would stay at my desk with a usb mouse :]]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheJuggaler

TheJuggaler

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

Net Books are pretty good for what most people need to do. They aren't the best for playing full screen high action video games but other than that they have a pretty high processing power and have pretty good sized hard drive.

#3 lolokittyy

lolokittyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

Good to know.
That sounds like it'll work for me. The only game I play is hello kitty online :blink:

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

"So i can stop using my dads virus magnate."

If YOU are getting viruses on your dad's computer I doubt it's the computers fault & you will still get them on a netbook.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 lolokittyy

lolokittyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

Noo its not me.
Its him He clicks ever add he sees and insists on disabling anti virus because it slows him down

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

LOL...I guess those viruses...don't slow him down at all, huh?

Maybe this insightful approach should be passed on to others unaware of the benefits :blink:.

Louis

#7 lolokittyy

lolokittyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

lol i guess not.
He doesnt even notice them but everytime I go on this computer i want to go nuts

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

You know...I found a cure for family members who won't listen to reason when it comes to a system.

I allow the system to reach a condition where I am turned to for help...I solemnly tell them that the only thing is to do a clean install, during which they will lose everything on the system.

Of course...that's when the wailing and gnashing of teeth begins...but I insist on a clean install.

Then I tell them all the ways in which they could have foregone/eliminated this scenario...systematic care, etc. They start paying attention and, since they are desperate...I am entreated once again to tell them what should be done to avoid/overcome the current situation.

If they hesitate...I give them a day or two (without their system functioning) to think about it.

Then I rescue them...they really tend to pay attention when they realize that the next time...no rescue may be forthcoming :blink:.

No problems with them after this routine :wacko:.

Good luck :)!!

Louis

#9 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

I really want a cute little pink one.

I don't do much on the computer just basically play around on yahoo answers and stuff. sometimes shop and download music for my jambox.

I saw a pink little like this one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=11082474

and i want it.

So i can stop using my dads virus magnate.

BUUUT i've heard these net books aren't any good.
I don't need a fancy computer or anything but i don't want to buy crud.

Are these net books any good ?

If not what should I get ?

It doesn't have to be a laptop either. I actually hate the mouse thingy for them so it would stay at my desk with a usb mouse :]]

Acer makes a nice little netbook. The specs on this one are pretty decent. I've had my netbook (not an Acer) for six months now (currently responding to you with it). The only item that you need to know that isn't listed here: how many 2.0 USB ports does this netbook have? Some have 3 and some have 2. It makes a difference.

Also, take a close look at the specs on the battery. Many netbooks now come with a 6-cell battery, which usually lasts anywhere from 6 to 8 hours. A 6-cell battery is no larger in size, yet only slightly heavier (by fractions of a pound) than a 3-cell battery, but they last twice as long. Unless you plan on being tethered to an electrical outlet, that's an important feature.

Some netbooks are bluetooth enabled as well (this Acer is not). While they will set you back just slightly more money, that's something you may be interested in, particularly if you have a bluetooth capable phone or PDA device.

You also need to actually put your fingers on the keyboard. Some manufacturers in order to save space have greatly trimmed the netbook keyboards (some have omitted the Shift key on one side althogether). Since WalMart is selling this item, they may have one on display. If not, I know that Staples does sell the Acer models and a few others. The netbook doesn't have to necessarily be turned on for you to place your fingers on the keyboard and see how it feels -- can you tell one key from the other, or do they all kind of just slide together; are the keys arranged similar to a standard laptop or have they been rearranged which will take some getting used to; is the touch pad large enough to accommodate you (some have complained about that); does it feel comfortable when you try to type your name or anything, for that matter?

Also, try to find out how much software is pre-installed on this system. Some netbooks come pretty clean, others have a load of junk pre-installed.

A netbook will be able to get on the internet reliably, run Microsoft Office 2003 (and some even come pre-loaded with a trial of Office 2007, so obviously that will run), and run other basic programs. It is not intended to handle high-end programs like Photoshop. They can run iTunes well (another reason for you to check how many USB ports it has).

Read some customer reviews on some of the models you're looking at. Prices on these netbooks will run from $250 up to $400 for the reasonably priced ones. Sony just introduced a netbook on the market, but IMHO it's very overpriced (at nearly double the cost of all others).

And make sure you have AV software and a firewall running on it since you'll be using it over a wireless network.

Hope my info helps. I have no regrets that I bought mine. I save my desktop for high-end programs, but do most of my work, truthfully, on this netbook. It's been a great buy for me.

#10 huxtona

huxtona

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

Get an Asus eee pc instead of an Acer. Having experienced using both, the Acers are good, but Asus is plain better in terms of battery, keyboard and mousepad.

In general, netbooks are great, now they all have an atom processor. great on battery.
They all are good at school work (unless you are using graphics intensive programs like autocad or enovia). Video playback is perfect too.

I say go for a 10" model. The 12" dell netbooks are great if you want more real estate.

#11 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

I have an Asus eeePC 1000HE besides my other computers. It's handy. It's not blazingly fast, it can't handle much more than poor quality video, but it's great for email, web, Facebook, etc. The screens are slightly off as well in terms of resolution, so it's not that tall. So, banners and headers take up a lot of the screen of most netbooks.

They're great for what they do!

Some things to think about:
  • Battery life...some have a few hours, some have >8. Most run a little less than they claim.
  • Screen size...as noted above, they're not quite a normal aspect ratio.
  • 9" versus 10"...that extra inch can make a big difference in keyboard size! even the 10" is somewhat cramped and keyboard size can vary by manufacturer.
  • Wireless...most have G, I got the 1000HE as it has the wireless-N. Depends on what you need.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#12 huxtona

huxtona

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

I have an Asus eeePC 1000HE besides my other computers. it can't handle much more than poor quality video

Actually, I've got flawless, lag-free video playback of 720p and 1080p files with CoreAVC codec. One might ask why I would need playback of huge resolutions on a tiny resolution pc, but attaching the eee pc to a tv or bigger monitor are reasons.

I also stream 720p video through my ps3, to my tv over wifi and it plays flawlessly.

These little machines pack a punch, are affordable and great to carry around. I highly suggest an Asus eee pc.

p.s. it gets girls' attention :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users