Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems: Installing, Uninstalling and Running Software

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dahbu

Dahbu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

This morning, Firefox closed unexpectedly on me and ever since I've been having problems. I can't install or uninstall any software. Some programs will run while others will not. For example, I tried to run CCleaner but it won't run yet Notepad will. I could not get Trillian to install but I was able to DL and install HijackThis as well as DDS. I'm hoping someone may have some free time to check out my info and hopefully help get things back to normal.

Thanks,
Terri

Running Windows XP Media Center Edition
Dell XPS M140
Firefox 3.0.11

*** I just completed scanning with SuperAntiSpyware with no threats detected. ***

7:25 pm - Malwarebytes AntiMalware also completed scanning with no infections found.

When I tried to reboot into Safe Mode, a Stop Error message showed up stating that the file sptd.sys appears to be the source of some problems. It would not allow me to complete the reboot into Safe Mode. The message suggested uninstalling anything new but I haven't installed any new hardware or software.

9:45 pm - Problem was indeed related to sptd.sys. After reading that Logicam web cams may be involved in the mess, I temporarily uninstalled mine. I ran HijackThis and fixed a few issues. These 2 things helped a lot. Finally, I noticed several instances of dwwin.exe running at the same time. As soon as I ended these processes, my software was able to be installed. i don't know enough to say what was going on, but it appears that Dr. Watson may have had its own issues that fed into the issues I had. I don't know if all is well quite yet, but it appears to be getting better anyway.

Edited by Dahbu, 14 July 2009 - 08:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users