Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Catalyst Control Center problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:38 PM

Catalyst Control Center has for a while been crashing on startup and will 99% of the time crash when any full screen video display is turned on. This more or less started to happen randomly, according to what my wife can recall. She's better than your average person technically, but would not likely know what caused the crashing to happen. I have a feeling that maybe a Windows Update of some sort started the issue, but it's hard to tell. I went to ATI's website to get video card driver updates as well as a CCC software update. That did not resolve the issue. From what I recall she's running Vista Home Basic (I'll check on that) on a Gateway laptop. She only has one GB of RAM, which I plan to upgrade. I'm not sure of the model of Gateway, so I'll try to get that, the video card model and confirm the version of Vista as well.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? This would be using Firefox 3.0.1, not in IE.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

Please do not double post

Unless you use CCC, I'd remove it. It can be rather problematic
If you insist on having it, uninstall / reinstall should solve the problem
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

I resorted to the second post (in a different forum) because I wasn't getting any response and figured so because I needed application assistance and not OS. Sorry if it was a problem.

I don't use CCC, which is why it has been unchecked in MSCONFIG for startup. I don't worry about the error message on booting up now. What I do still have a concern with is the full screen video display. I did uninstall when the problem originated, as well as updating from ATI's website. The problem persists though. I can try again with the reinstall, though I don't have much confidence since it didn't help the first round.

Thanks for the help, I'll post when I get a chance to play with the laptop again.

EDIT:

One other question, will removing the program create problems for video playing or other graphics related items?

Edited by Eric RBA, 14 July 2009 - 03:28 PM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

One other question, will removing the program create problems for video playing or other graphics related items?

Like I said, I don't have it installed

msconfig is really for testing purposes, not to permanently disable items
For that you would be better off using Codestuff Starter
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html
or Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users