Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

Today I got the notice from HP that my Seagate HDD had some problems and all I needed to do was update it's firmware. I had never bothered to backup my data and I am now looking for a removable hard drive. Here is the link to the article from HP on the Seagate HDD problem.

I decided to back up all my information before I update my firmware, and now I need to decide what hard drive to get. Nearly all drives I looked at had some negative comments, whether it was slow transfer rate, it's a piece of junk, it overheats, etc. yet all also had good comments. If anyone knows of a good portable hard drive (I really only need a 500GB one) or can help my find a good one, that would be great.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

First, you have to take the customer comments with a grain of salt
You didn't say whether you want to buy a back up drive already assembled or a regular hard drive and an external enclosure
Whichever you decide on be sure to get one that has it's own power supply module, not powered by an extra USB cable
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

I have a 500GB WDElements external hard drive by Western Digital and haven't had a problem with it.

I also have a Seagate external drive (can't remember what model) and it hasn't missed a beat either.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:14 AM

I'm going to be buying a backup drive already assembled.

I also read my com stats incorrectly, it says 314GB free on 452GB, so I really only need a 320 Portable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users