Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformatting external hard drive - maxtor 3000 ls

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 penmark

penmark

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

I am trying to reformat the above-mentioned external hard drive. It came formatted in fat32. using windows xp, i can only reformat in ntfs, but i dont really understand the difference between the two formats, and the partition size, etc. So, can i get the drive back to factory specs, and how, or if i have to use NTFS, how? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 maj.stiffy

maj.stiffy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

if you want to migrate your drive to other computers for universal compatability i would go w/ fat32. if you want a little more efficiency/security you could use ntfs. the only difference between ntfs and fat32 is security and limits on file sizes/volumes(partition sizes). ntfs can read fat32 partitions but fat32 cannot do the same. i would go with ntfs if you are going to be using this as like a backup, but for portability i would go with fat32 anyone else have thoughts??

Edited by maj.stiffy, 09 July 2005 - 09:11 PM.

maj.stiffy

#3 penmark

penmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:13 AM

Thanks, but how can i reformat in FAT32 using windows xp home or some utility?

#4 maj.stiffy

maj.stiffy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:39 AM

you can use the format in winxp...right click on drive icon and click format use what filesystem you want. if that doesn't work , you can use a 3rd party utility like partition magic...if you need any more help just ask
maj.stiffy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users