Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro SP3: Garbage characters appearing in some apps


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 f210a

f210a

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hello, this is my first post to this forum.

I am running an English version of Windows XP Pro SP3 on an Intel-based system in China, on my girlfriends' computer.

The OS is in English so I can do maintenance with minimal bother, and the apps (for the most part,) are in Simplified Chinese, so she can work with minimal bother.

I have Eastern Language Support installed and enabled, and all of the installed IME's work fine. Also, on all installed Adobe and Microsoft apps, the Chinese shows up fine.

However, on kwmusic (a popular chinese music player/search app,) the menus and local content windows only show ????'s and garbage characters instead of Chinese. The online content windows, on the other hand, display the Chinese properly.

Incidentally, the installers for ALL of our Chinese-version apps also display garbage characters instead of Chinese, even though all of the apps but one have no problem after installation.

Just for fun, I tried changing the default non-Unicode language to Simplified Chinese, but that caused the kwmusic app upon opening to return an error screen in garbage characters and ???'s, and shut down immediately. After changing the default non-Unicode language back to US English, it returned to the behavior initially described.

Previously we ran kwmusic on a Simplified Chinese version of XP Home Sp2, and it worked fine.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 f210a

f210a
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:55 AM

Problem solved. I guess I was on the right track originally.

When I changed the non-unicode language to Simplified Chinese, I forgot that it might be best to REINSTALL the malfunctioning app after making that change.

I realized this just now, acted accordingly, and now all is fine.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 56,289 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users