Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reducing no. of programs to speed up pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:29 AM

Hello friends,
Im always in the search for fast and 100% protected pc.
My pc is dell inspiron 1521 with windows vista home premium.It has instaled defragler from Microsoft.Howeewer,for some reason I was not quite happy and I installed smart defrag which has the ability to run in the back constantly defragging.
But,to my unpleasnt surprise it slowed down my pc a lot???
Next day I uninstalled the program
Also,I uninstaled the fire protection program:This program was monitoring every other program for unauthorized changes
My pc is happy again,fast as ever before,and happily wigling the tail :huh:
My question to all:
How to make a pc as fast as possible and 100% safe?
Well, I know,this is the question of all questions
It my never be answered completely
But we have to try,right?
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

Also,I uninstaled the fire protection program:

If you are referring to the Windows Firewall, that is not a wise thing to do
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

Background defragging will do that, and seems like overkill, since most computers simply are not used enough and in fragmenting ways to require constant repair. And even though anti-virus and firewall applications do require some resources, these are seldom so great to override their obvious benefit.
Routine maintenance, deleting unused applications, archiving data to disk, and killing automatic or default"quick starts" will generally keep your computer running as fast as possible.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 14 July 2009 - 11:25 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 akuigla

akuigla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

Sorry for the lack of full name
The program I deleted was TreatFire
Could be something else because my AVG displayed that blocked change of my default search engine
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users