Behaviour of virus as follows..
1. It launches popups which say "Google installer has encountered a problem and needs to close". They keep appearing, and clicking on 'dont send' seems to make it worse and the computer crashes or freezes. With my laptop this eventually got so bad it would only stay on for 2 minutes or so before freezing.
2. Online, using any search engine or browser, it will give you your page of search results ok, but when you click on a link it redirects (in another browser tab) to a page filled with dodgy ads.
3. System restore is disabled
4. malwarebytes ant-malware finds 3 infections, and sometimes the problem goes way for a few minutes after reboot, then it comes back -a rootkit maybe?
5. Lastly the weirdest thing is that random audio adverts will play, even with no browser running.
My laptop had all this and more, and eventually had to be reformatted. So far I have tried running AVG free scan and MalWareBytes anti malware, both of which found infected items, which were healed but the problem is still there. I really need help with this - can't afford to lose this machine too!
EDIT: I just ran rootkitrevealer, after reading a few other threads on here, and it found a file called UACd.sys. I googled this, and it appears to be a rootkit trojan thingy. So how do i get rid of this?
Edited by neonsky, 14 July 2009 - 05:42 AM.