Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Installer has encountered a problem - virus, need help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neonsky

neonsky

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:46 AM

My laptop had this virus/rootkit and it killed it, and now my desktop has it too. I got it even though I had anti virus software running..
Behaviour of virus as follows..

1. It launches popups which say "Google installer has encountered a problem and needs to close". They keep appearing, and clicking on 'dont send' seems to make it worse and the computer crashes or freezes. With my laptop this eventually got so bad it would only stay on for 2 minutes or so before freezing.

2. Online, using any search engine or browser, it will give you your page of search results ok, but when you click on a link it redirects (in another browser tab) to a page filled with dodgy ads.

3. System restore is disabled

4. malwarebytes ant-malware finds 3 infections, and sometimes the problem goes way for a few minutes after reboot, then it comes back -a rootkit maybe?

5. Lastly the weirdest thing is that random audio adverts will play, even with no browser running.

My laptop had all this and more, and eventually had to be reformatted. So far I have tried running AVG free scan and MalWareBytes anti malware, both of which found infected items, which were healed but the problem is still there. I really need help with this - can't afford to lose this machine too!

EDIT: I just ran rootkitrevealer, after reading a few other threads on here, and it found a file called UACd.sys. I googled this, and it appears to be a rootkit trojan thingy. So how do i get rid of this?

Posted Image

Edited by neonsky, 14 July 2009 - 05:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:23 AM

Please post your Malwarebytes and RootRepeal results. We can go from there :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 neonsky

neonsky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

Hmm, thanks, but for now *fingers crossed* it seems to have gone. I ran avenger on the UACd.sys rootkit, followed by malwarebytes, and on the third run through it seemed to fix it.
I not confident that it's gone though, and if it hasn't i will post my logs. Many thanks for the offer of help, i really appreciate it.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

That works! Let's us know if you have any other problems,,,

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users