Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2007 suite will NOT run on XP SP3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Feenixaz

Feenixaz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:24 AM

Here is where I'm at, when I click on MS Word, nothing opens. In Task Manager, winword.exe runs for about 2-3 seconds then disappears. "winword /a" (safe mode?) does the same thing. Excel, same thing. No error messages, nothing in Event Viewer!

Now here's what lead up to it, the user installed Office 2007 Ultimate, via a download from school website, and for some reason it didn't work. After a reinstall or two, it was completely fouled up. The program was essentially missing, yet was listed in Add/Remove. When you click Remove, an hourglass appears then just goes back to Add/Remove after about 10 seconds. I installed MS Windows Installer 4.5, rebooted, and was able to then install Office 2007, then Uninstall, delete office12 user folder, reinstall, no change.

Ran Office self diagnostic tool, says everything is Fine.

Adobe Reader 9.1 had recently been installed, and that may be the culprit, because of the way that is acting. In Add/Remove it gives an error message, can't remove, and when you download the installer, it gives an error, can't install. It opens okay, but when you print a PDF, it gives an error, saying no pages have been selected to print. Foxit Reader works okay. Adobe is trashed, is there a manual way to remove it? I couldn't find an uninstaller tool.

Found a MSKB article that was semi-specific to this problem, but did not help. I think at this point a system restore would either fail or just cause problems. I ran dial-a-fix, ran the security fix, what is there left to do?

I'm stuck, Office won't run, but diag says its fine! The Installer 4.5 helped me be able to Install, then uninstall Office, but it still won't run. Process lives for about 2 seconds, then quits with no event logged, no err msg.

Any help greatly appreciated

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Feenixaz

Feenixaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:08 AM

Solved.

Used Revo to uninstall Office and Adobe software, cleaned registry with Eusing, updated bios from old version... and voila, it worked. I suspect Adobe software fouled it up , procmon reported insufficient resource on a bunch of registry calls. -Just needed some cleaning, and worked fine. Too bad Microsoft diagnostic couldn't detect anything, that reported there were no errors with the app.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Thank you for posting your solution so that others may benefit
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users