Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

antivirusGold infection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frogster

frogster

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 11:32 AM

'm using Windows98. Shameful truth: I don't have antivirus software or firewall.

My computer was infected a few weeks ago with smithfraud and I was able to at least contain the problem with Ad-Aware. The computer was then infected with AntivirusGold last night. I found the self help guide on your website on how to get rid of it which I wanted to try.

However my computer is now seriously disabled. I cannot download programs (eg Hijack This) using netscape, IE does not work, I cannot open "My Computer" or "My Documents" (I'm getting an Explorer window error message: program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"), I can't load programs from a disk since I can't access the A: drive. I also cannot run windows in safe mode: MSConfig from "Run" results in the error message above, and the F8 key when booting doesn't do anything (Note: I have a dual OS Windows/Linux).

I have many files which are not backed up. Any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks!
Frog

PS: I'm sending this from a different computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frogster

frogster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

Update: The antivirusGold "program" was still running when I had the problems described above. Closing the antivirusGold window that pops up is not enough. AntivirusGold should be stopped by clicking the icon in the bottom right. Anyway, now my computer works again and I can try removing the thing using the self help guide in the Spyware removal forum.

Apologies for wasting anyone's time.

Thanks

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:12 PM

Check the "How to submit a HijackThis log" in the HJT section of the forums. Until someone there can help you, ignore everything anybody else tells you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

Be patient. It may take a day or longer for someone to get to you, but we get to everybody eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users