Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting an iBook G4 from a Cd?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

Let me first explain that I am completely Mac illiterate. I've never even seen a Mac boot up.

A college student brought me an iBook G4 that would not boot past a blue screen. The Mac guys I know said it was dead. Everything I can find on a Mac booting to a blue screen has failed to correct the problem, so I'm assuming it is dead. I'm hoping that it is dead due to a corrupt hard drive though. She has no CDs for this G4 either, so any kind of recovery is out the window.

I took the drive out and saved all of her important stuff off of it using a program called Transmac. Now what I'm trying to do, since she's a broke college student, is to install a version of Linux on it. I'm using an Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit CD just because I already had that CD burned and ready. However, I can't figure out how to get this aggravating iBook to boot from a CD. I've tried powering on with the Option key held down and that boots me to a blue screen with 3 icons on it: what looks like a circular refresh arrow on the left, a hard drive with a white circle and a blue X in it labeled Mac HD in the middle, and an arrow pointing to the right on the right. What does this screen tell me? Does the X by the drive mean it isn't seeing that as a usable drive? Is there supposed to be a CD drive showing on this screen too if I have a bootable CD in the drive?

I've also tried holding the C button and powering on but that doesn't boot to the Ubuntu 9.04 CD that I put in it either.

Any help would be appreciated. I posted another topic in the Linux OS forum to find out what might be the best distro of Linux to use in this situation. I know everyone has there preferences, but I need something that a computer illiterate 20 year old music major will be able to handle.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

i think you will have to use ubuntu built for the power pc acrchitecture

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/gutsy/release/

and holding the c key while booting should work

Edited by caperdog, 20 July 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Hey, caperdog!!! That version of linux showed me some progress!! It allowed me to boot from the CD but this laptop apparently only has 256 mb of ram. Gutsy Gibbon requires 320 mb to install from that CD. It booted and made it only a couple of minutes into the boot process before freezing at a blank, black screen.

Is there any other distro of Linux that might work here, with only 256 mb of ram??
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

Try this: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/re...jaunty/release/

If you want the Gutsy (older) release, try this: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/re.../gutsy/release/
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

Maddawg - I tried the first link. Burned Jaunty to a CD and it did the same thing except this time, I got some kind of Invalid ROM contents error and it ejected the CD. I'm going to try Gutsy tomorrow and see what happens. I'll post back with results. Thanks for the help, guys.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

xbuntu says it will install with 128 ram

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/re...s/7.10/release/

adding another 256 of ram will help alot

#7 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

OK. I've tried all of these:
xubuntu-9.04-desktop-powerpc
xubuntu-7.10-desktop-powerpc
ubuntu-9.04-desktop-powerpc
ubuntu-7.10-desktop-powerpc

None of them will load past the initial boot process. Less than one minute after booting on the CD, I see some kind of error flash on the screen and the screen goes black. The thing is, I got a different error with each distro that I tried. Most were too fast to actually read, but one was a "Invalid ROM content" message. I know this G4 has at least 256mb of ram in it. Can you use regular DDR PC2100 memory in this iBook or does Mac require special DDR ram?

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

starting to sound like a hardware issue
there is a memtest for mac that cost about 2bucks i think. it was cheap enough that i bought it :thumbsup:
diskwarrior is the defacto disk utility for mac but is expensive.
if you can get your hands on a mac install disk you can run disk utility on CD for hardrive check
or possibly download g-parted to examine hardrive(and install linux partitions)do some reading
or drive manufacturers OS independent software to check harddisk

personally i am thinking bad ram, check that first

#9 theman5794

theman5794

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

i got a G3 power pc with 256 MB ram. Am trieing to instal Lucid Lynx (unbuntu 10.04) on it. let you know if it works! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users