Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC beeps and locks up after a while, can't re-install McAfee, maybe ie8 related

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 David Ratonyi

David Ratonyi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:58 PM

About a week ago downloaded/installed ie8. Since then PC has started locking up.

I uninstalled ie8 from control panel, uninstalled lots of other things too (Google Desktop Search that was hanging), McAfee (using the removal tool as well as searching through registry for "McAfee" and deleting in addition to control panel uninstall), Adobe Reader, and various other unneeded programs. Also set many services that I believe are not necessary to not start automatically, but don't have the whole list. Installed and started using Firefox instead of ie.

System seems to stay up longer, but still locks up after a while. It seems to be random - sometimes will lock up right away, sometimes can go for an hour or two. Possibly working with MS Outlook attachments contributes (but will lock up even without Outlook open).

I'm really not sure if there's any malware or not - I don't see anything obvious in processes; but suspect maybe the registry is a bit scrambled after years of various software installs.

Don't think it's heat related, it can happen after being off all night.

I tried Advanced Registry Care, but it didn't seem to help so I restored the registry afterwards.

Not sure where else to start, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:27 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time your computer locks up.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 David Ratonyi

David Ratonyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

Good idea - I can't believe I didn't think of looking at event log. Looks like system errors started exactly when ie8 installed; unfortunately application log already rolled. There are a lot of errors, so I attached exports of all the errors (and warnings plus information that seemed to have useful info) from my last bootup to crash time period.

Thanks - David

Attached Files

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

You running this utility:

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 David Ratonyi

David Ratonyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

I ran through most of the dial-a-fix options and tools (except for a couple of re-installs that didn't seem necessary) and I think it helped in that I was able to re-install McAfee. Unfortunately, after re-installing it the computer still eventually freezes, but it takes much longer. I also ended up re-installing ie8 since ie was broken and it was needed to fix my windows update.

I also have run various spyware & rootkit dedection tools and found nothing. Only thing remotely suspicious was port 25 and one high number network port being used, but I think they're legit.

By the way, I don't think I mentioned I have a Dell Dimension 4600, around 2.5Ghz and 1.gGB ram.

Thanks for your help!

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:59 PM

Anything in the event view right at the time of the freeze?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 David Ratonyi

David Ratonyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:01 AM

I don't think I'm seeing errors right at the time of the freeze, unfortunately. There are, however, consistent COM+ errors of various sorts, and also some NVSvc errors. Other than that it's mostly timeouts which I think are just symptoms of the COM+ issue. I'll have to look into these more closely when I have more time.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 David Ratonyi

David Ratonyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:38 PM

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 6834 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 6834 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 6834 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

78075899 KB total disk space.
59374776 KB in 200090 files.
97764 KB in 19333 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
333663 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
18269696 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
19518974 total allocation units on disk.
4567424 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
40 fc 03 00 2a 59 03 00 ac ca 04 00 00 00 00 00 @...*Y..........
41 15 00 00 00 00 00 00 90 1c 00 00 00 00 00 00 A...............
de 36 5e 14 00 00 00 00 6a c0 8e 31 01 00 00 00 .6^.....j..1....
6c d1 b2 9b 00 00 00 00 66 6a f9 e6 08 00 00 00 l.......fj......
ae 3b 77 3e 01 00 00 00 b0 bb e3 08 0c 00 00 00 .;w>............
80 f9 95 9a 00 00 00 00 90 38 07 00 9a 0d 03 00 .........8......
00 00 00 00 00 e0 f2 27 0e 00 00 00 85 4b 00 00 .......'.....K..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

By the way, before running this, I learned iTunes & Quicken were not starting. I uninstalled everthing apple (iTunes/Ipod/Bonjour/Quicktime/Appleupdate, etc), reinstalled iTunes, and both it and Quicken were then able to launch.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

Is it still locking up?

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 David Ratonyi

David Ratonyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Not yet but I suspect it will if I walk away for a while. It always seems to want to freeze up more if I just let it sit idle for a while. Now if I try ie it just sits there "connecting" (and dwwin process pops up, but no error reporting window is visible. I have to kill the process - either dwwin or iexplore and they both die), and windows update seems knocked out again also. Firefox still works, fortunately. Still seeing COM+ errors, etc. in logs.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

You could try the System File Checker:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 David Ratonyi

David Ratonyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

I think I did that once already and it was clean, but running it again just in case (there is an i386 folder already on C drive). Does it matter that it was originally SP1 (and now SP3) if it still runs or do I need to go through the slipstream process?

I think SFC finished clean again. I didn't see any errors and the window is gone.

Edited by David Ratonyi, 20 July 2009 - 11:26 PM.

#14 David Ratonyi

David Ratonyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:13 AM

It did lock up a little differently after rebooting. I was trying to open explorer and it hung - didn't get the beep but kbd and mouse buttons didn't do anything. All I could do was move the cursor around the desktop.

I was looking around at things and got a couple of Windows Defender warnings:

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection agent has detected changes. Microsoft recommends you analyze the software that made these changes for potential risks. You can use information about how these programs operate to choose whether to allow them to run or remove them from your computer. Allow changes only if you trust the program or the software publisher. Windows Defender can't undo changes that you allow.
For more information please see the following:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=74409
Scan ID: {868509BE-C698-42A4-B964-29DA5A1237F9}
User: RATONYI\Paige Ratonyi
Name: Unknown
ID:
Severity: Not Yet Classified
Category: Not Yet Classified
Path Found: firewallport:HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List\\1900:UDP
Alert Type: Unclassified software
Detection Type:

and

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection agent has detected changes. Microsoft recommends you analyze the software that made these changes for potential risks. You can use information about how these programs operate to choose whether to allow them to run or remove them from your computer. Allow changes only if you trust the program or the software publisher. Windows Defender can't undo changes that you allow.
For more information please see the following:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=74409
Scan ID: {90278F74-B2B0-48D7-BB70-E2592D600A29}
User: RATONYI\Paige Ratonyi
Name: Unknown
ID:
Severity: Not Yet Classified
Category: Not Yet Classified
Path Found: firewallport:HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List\\2869:TCP
Alert Type: Unclassified software
Detection Type:

I'm not sure if it was related to something I was checking in Control Panel or something, but I didn't think I was making any changes.

When I was looking up these errors w/Firefox I got BSOD:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xb7175674, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072109-01.dmp.

#15 David Ratonyi

David Ratonyi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

I think resetting ie with default settings messed it up somehow. I uninstalled ie8 which seemed to do the trick in fixing Windows update and starting up Quicken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users