Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux on an iBook G4 laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

Just throwing this question out there to see what responses I might find. I have a college student that brought me her iBook G4 to repair because it wouldn't boot up. It looks like a corrupt operating system because it boots thru a gray screen to a blue screen. I tried about a hundred different things to resolve this, but none of them worked. She does not have any type of recovery media for it. I pulled all of her important files off the drive by removing the drive and hooking it up as an external. So, I told her I could put probably put a version of Linux on it to get it up and running again. Just something she could get online with, get email, documents, etc.

I've dabbled with Ubuntu a few times and that is my experience with a Linux OS. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what version of Linux would work best for a 2nd year college student with limited computer skills? I'm not sure what version of the G4 this is and don't really feel like fighting my way thru taking the stupid thing apart again either. I assume it has 256mb of ram and it has a 30 gig drive.

Edited by possumbarnes, 13 July 2009 - 09:38 PM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:12 PM

Ubuntu would work great on it. Apple G4 is 32bit processor, so you should download 32bit version of Ubuntu ISO.

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

Xubuntu, so far, is the only OS that I can think of that would run comfortably on 256MB of RAM and be user-friendly enough to do schoolwork.

Edited by MadDawg, 13 July 2009 - 10:14 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

I've posted this question in the Mac forum but no one has replied. Never had a question on BC that went 3 days with no replies.
Anyway, I've got an Ubuntu CD and was trying to boot to it but I can't figure out how to get this iBook to boot to a CD. Hopefully someone will read this and check out my other topic:
Booting an iBook G4 from a CD

This is obviously not a rush job, but I prefer Bleeping Computer help because this site has never failed me. If I can't get help here, I'll have to fight my way thru a Mac forum somewhere else.

Thanks in advance
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

got no idea
and i dont think any one else will to
better look that one on the mac forums

but i found these
http://www.lifespy.com/2007/how-to-boot-from-a-cd-on-a-mac/

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ages.html

http://forums.appleinsider.com/archive/ind...hp/t-28453.html

ibook smilar to Mac yer ?

Edited by starcraftmaster, 17 July 2009 - 10:44 PM.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

hold down the "c" key will booting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users