Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Act! Software False Positive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xoticrox

xoticrox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

Hi I have had this problem now on two computers.

It is the same problem that was confirmed on this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...howtopic=240232 , however, it was locked. I care not about the false positive, what i am looking for is a way to revert the files back to normal. I used the recovery console today and was unsuccessfull. BTW, todays computer was over 400 files, the original computer this happened on was amost 1000 files.

Is there another way, be it software, or a script for a batch file to remove the .vir from the file extension. So far the best i have come up with is a keyboard macro, but it isnt the most trustworthy process.

Thanks

Billy

Edited by xoticrox, 13 July 2009 - 08:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:56 PM

Have you also run ComboFix as thay had ?

Edited by boopme, 13 July 2009 - 10:41 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 xoticrox

xoticrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:17 PM

Maybe you misread what I am saying. I am not infected at this time, my problem is now that ComboFix is calling the ACT! software a virus, and now I need to get those files back where they belong.

It has moved them to the quurantine folder and added the .vir extension on them.

If I can get rid of the .vir extension, then my problem is solved.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

Ok, let me clean this up and see if I can get you a proper answer...
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 xoticrox

xoticrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

Hi, I posted here and at experts exchange as well. I was directed to a couple of program links and a program called Rename Master worked great. It has the option to remove a certain amount of digits from the end of a file extension. The link for the program is here http://www.snapfiles.com/get/renamemaster.html

Thanks

Billy

Edited by xoticrox, 13 July 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for posting back your solution. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users