Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anybody Know How to Make DDS.scr work with Windows 7 64 bit?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 richmond0039

richmond0039

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

I've been playing around with Windows 7 64 bit and most things seem to work well, including my commercial anti-virus software, HijackThis and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I cannot, however, get DDS.scr to work. When I run it the cmd window returns a message that says "this tool does not support your operating system." It would be nice to be able to use DDS.scr with Windows 7. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

Unfortunately, the best solution is just to wait until sUBs (the author of DDS) makes a version that is compatible with Windows 7.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

If it is your intention to submit a log in the HJT forum, post back.
We have a couple of alternatives to try
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

Is it windows 7 or 64bit that's the problem?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 richmond0039

richmond0039
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:07 AM

My intention was not to post a log. I recently had a nasty rootkit infection and found these forums to be very helpful. As a result, I like to run several of the tools used here on a regular basis to supplement my commercial anti-virus program. DDS.scr is one of these programs. I am trying to get a little ahead of the curve on Windows 7 so I will be fully ready to run it when the production release comes.

As for the operating system problem, I do not know if it is just Windows 7 or the 64 bit variation that the current version of DDS.scr does not like. I am going with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 (testing RC 1 right now) because, even though it is a memory pig, I have enough PC resources to run it and all my apps that run on it run as least as fast or faster than they do in 32 bit Windows XP.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

One alternative you can try
  • Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.
  • Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.
  • Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)
One point tho, 64bit OS's are relatively immune from many of the worst infections, especially with Vista and 7, it is related to driver signing, malware can't install them and similarly antimalware scanners and programs can't either.
Chewy

#7 richmond0039

richmond0039
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

Sorry for the delay in replying as to the use of RSIT.exe.

I downloaded it from the link provided, logged in as Administrator and tried to execute it. I get a message box that says it is "not a valid Win32 application." I checked the compatibility settings on the file's properties and noted that no compatibility settings were selected. I tried setting compatibility to Windows XP SP 3 and then reran the file. I got exactly the same error message box. Any ideas as to what is happening? Thanks.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

All these tools require an immense amount of work by the authors, as the need arises they respond, but remember
they don't get paid for it, most are anonymous and you can't even donate to the cause.

I still haven't seen a real need for vista 64 bit deep driver based analysis tools.
Chewy

#9 richmond0039

richmond0039
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

It would be nice to think that Windows 7 will be inherently more secure. I am running my PC with UAC at the highest setting and TrendMicro security set to warn before allowing any system changes. My one concern is that one of the application programs I use all day long will not run unless it is run by an Administrator account. So far, the only infection I have seen is a browser Trojan that TrendMicro caught and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware verified. It appears to have come from a compromised web site my daughter used to create invitations for a party. She accessed the web site on two of my PCs and both got infected without any downloading; just viewing the web page apparently caused the infections.

I probably am over cautious because of the really nasty rootkit infection that hit one of my XP SP3 systems a few months ago. It took me 5 days to get it cleaned and I had to overwrite the master boot record before I could remove the infection. Hence my desire to try and keep Windows 7 as "clean" as possible using the tools recommended by the folks who help out on this forum.

Thanks again for your assistance and advice.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

When Vista first came out there were a lot of problems with protection software but infections were very easy to clean, as malware writers improved their code the infections got a lot worse but protection and disinfection software had time to improve.

The only way to stay safe is cover all the vectors used by malware to infect, why not let your daughter use a limited account?
Chewy

#11 richmond0039

richmond0039
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

I had my Windows 7 PC on and left the keyboard for a while, during which she used it without logging off my Admin. account and using the regular user account. On the Windows XP machine she was using a limited user account that popped up 5 Trend Micro Trojan warning messages as soon as she viewed the web page. I guess I will have to password lock my screen saver and then start the screen saver any time I leave the keyboard. As an ex-NSA friend of mine says, "the only completely safe computer is one that nobody can access."

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

You might consider the paid version of MBAM, they are testing several new key features and the latest builds seem to be working very well with Windows 7 64 bit.
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users