Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing. No Options. Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob Norris

Jacob Norris

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Last night my friend turned my home computer off using the power button on the located on the tower because he was frustrated that Fireworks wasn't opening properly. Usually the computer will go to a blue screen saying something like "Scanning drive C:" I usually can skip right over it because it give u the option to by clicking any bottom. Well first it would only get to 74% and either just freeze the computer, or freeze than restart its self. Going thru the process all over again.

I use to be able to get into Safe mode, and i could see that all my files are still intact. But for some reason, now when ever I turn the computer on. It doesn't go to the "Scanning drive C:" screen anymore . . . instead it goes to a black screen saying
"NTLDR is missing"

I now cannot access safe mode, so I press F11 to start recovery from the hardrive. I try to reinstall the OS with a back up, but always at 2% into copying the files, the whole computer freezes. Forceing me to restart the computer in order to continue with anything else. . . Next option was to take my operating CD and try reinstalling the OS with that. But yet again it stops at 2% and the only option is to restart the computer again, using the power button on the computer tower.

I have 2 hardrives attached to the computer, and on booting up the computer I began to notice that one of my hardrives (most likely the C: drive with the operating system) has a Errors. . . During the boot-up, it shows both hardrives, and one is fine with green text. The other below it shows ERRORS in red text. I am assuming something is corrupted due to powering down on the tower.

I have very important files on that hardrive, and I know if I could access them thru safe mode at first, they should be fine. . . I NEED HELP!!

~Jacob Norris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

Try backing-up the important files with a live Linux CD.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Jacob Norris

Jacob Norris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

good news, I have ubuntu already on a cd . . . but the bad news is when I try to press the "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer" it just wont let me click enter, or any button for it. I can click F1, F2, and such. and click enter on thoughs options. Just not on the 5 main options it gives me. How do I get this to work?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

You could try this fix:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Jacob Norris

Jacob Norris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

I seen that web page before coming here. But None of it can help me. Unless I am doing it wrong.

I am able to access the Bios by pressing F2. . . but I do not know what to do from there.

Is there something wrong with one of my drives? Because one of them is just fine, but the other seems to have Errors.
I also took apart the tower and checked all the wires, specifically around the hardrives to see if it all is connected right, and nothing seems to be wrong either

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:38 PM

What's the make and model number of your computer?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Jacob Norris

Jacob Norris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

It is a Gateway FX
It runs Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
the numbers and letter on the side are: FX530XM

If you need the serial number, just ask . . . I can give you that.

If i didn't give you what u needed, please tell me and I will look again.

Thank you for helping me :thumbsup:

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

I'll look into a fix. In the meanwhile try this:

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Jacob Norris

Jacob Norris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

I seen something like this in a previous website today . . . I did try clicking R to run the Recovery CD.

But it goes straight to 2 bullets I am able to click. then press enter

either . . . Full System Restore (Destructive)
or . . . Full System Restore (with Backup)

I have only tried "Full System Restore (with Backup)"
and now, instead of freezing all the time. It starts right at the beginning to say

"Problen in exracting process:
WINDOWS\. . .

and every time I click OK. It goes right to the next file needed
============

There is nothing about typing an Admin. Password in or anything such as that

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 _Rosco_

_Rosco_

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:23 AM

This error appears when NTLDR's attributes have been altered or there is another problem with NTLDR.

For some solutions to NTLDR boot problems such as NTLDR is missing see the following step by step solution:
http://www.proposedsolution.com/solutions/ps0013.php

In addition, there are many other articles discussing Windows boot problems on that site.

Hope this all helps.

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

Did you have Nortons Systems Works on you computer? It had at one time cause a problem like yours on my computer. A call to them gave the cure. It might be on line by now.

#13 Jacob Norris

Jacob Norris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

alright... so I created the recovery cd with the iso image you gave me thru the link. Everythink is working fine, goes to the blue screen and it says its loading all that mumbo jumbo, but when it says "starting up windows" at the bottom is when the screen goes to a diff. blue screen.

I beleive they call it "the blue screen of death" I cannot do anything from here...
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
as for Norton, I do not like Norton one bit, soo I haven ever had norton installed on the computer, there is however some program call Norton Goback that I tryed, but I guess I needed Norton installed on the computer itself in order to use it.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Here's another option to try retrieving your important files:

http://lifehacker.com/192982/geek-to-live-...-with-a-boot-cd

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 Jacob Norris

Jacob Norris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

wow...thank you very much!

Knoppix is such a beautiful program... I didn't even have to press any buttons and on start-up the linux Operating System booted right up perfectly... everything looks good, and actually at this moment I am on the internet on the corrupted hardrive computer...

What I planned to do was take my JVC 20 GB hardrive camcorder and connect it to the computer, which works... so I can move my important files to the camcorder and totally clean out my hardrive.

The only problem is, neither of my hardrives are showing up, my JVC hardrive does. But not my hardrives... I will look for a solution for this, I am just glad I can get to here now :thumbsup:
/\/\/\/\/\
if you or anyone has any solution to my problem, please inform me ASAP, thank you!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users