Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posts disappearing???

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Yesterday morning I posted in this topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...ml#entry1339427

and during the day noticed that there were 40-50 new reads in that thread.

Later last night I went to add to the thread and my post was missing along with one other.

Why was my post deleted?

If I posted something not acceptable, at least a courtesy PM letting me know that I had would seem to have been appropriate.

I've re-posted essentially the same information and it is still there, so I don't understand what happened.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

It's not in Deleted Posts
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

garmanma -

Do you see any posts in the "Deleted Posts" area from that thread?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:39 PM

It is in deleted posts, I found them. Whats odd is there is nothing in the activity log showing that they were deleted, ever. I went back to before they were even posted according to the timestamps.

I have no clue how they got there. No forum 'paper trail' that I can find. You finally have yourself a true mystery JohnWho.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

:thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

It is in deleted posts, I found them. Whats odd is there is nothing in the activity log showing that they were deleted, ever. I went back to before they were even posted according to the timestamps.

I have no clue how they got there. No forum 'paper trail' that I can find. You finally have yourself a true mystery JohnWho.

I may have a "true mystery", but it would seem the board has a serious problem if it is arbitrarily deleting posts for no apparent reason.

Is this a known IP Board problem?

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

Abacus7 also had a post removed in that thread.

Do the logs show why his was deleted and by whom?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

@JohnWho, your post was deleted on accident, and I couldn't find it to put it back. I meant to get back to it, but I did not. I will note though that there is a growing tendency to find ways to mimic the now removed quote feature, which again leads to posts being unreadable yet again. How hard is to to form a complete sentence that addresses a particular person on a particular point?

Abacus' post was deleted because it was off topic.

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

Thank you for the honesty, groovicus,

but if my post was deleted "accidentally"

why didn't any of the Staff (or you if you deleted it) send me a PM regarding the incident?

You may be getting upset with me for bringing this up,

but, c'mon, a little common courtesy isn't that unreasonable, is it?

(Edit to correct to groovicus)

Edited by JohnWho, 14 July 2009 - 04:09 PM.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

I will note though that there is a growing tendency to find ways to mimic the now removed quote feature, which again leads to posts being unreadable yet again. How hard is to to form a complete sentence that addresses a particular person on a particular point?

This is a separate issue, is it not?

And the answer to "How hard is it?" is, sometimes, very hard, often when responding to multiple points in a post 2 or 3 posts back in a thread. Especially when in other threads on this board and on other boards it is much easier for a member to post replies.

I attempt to only quote that part of the earlier post that I'm directly responding to in an attempt to respect the concept. But, of course, anyone could show that I often could have used a few less words.

Using the "@username" idea is only effective if the other person only made one point in their thread, even if a reader then has to scroll up to see what that point was. If they made multiple points, it becomes even more difficult for both the responder and the readers without some sort of pointer or quote to show exactly what is being referenced by the response.

I understand your desire to limit the length of posts by not allowing the "quote" feature, but if it makes communicating that much harder for the members, is it really doing anything other than aggravating the member and lessening their desire to post in that Forum?

#11 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

Using the "@username" idea is only effective if the other person only made one point in their thread, even if a reader then has to scroll up to see what that point was. If they made multiple points, it becomes even more difficult for both the responder and the readers without some sort of pointer or quote to show exactly what is being referenced by the response.

It does get to be a bit difficult at times, and it can get to be an annoyance to have to find a way to be able to indicate what point you're pointing at when there's multiple points and that you only want to use certain points, but it's probably better than to have to read about hundreds of lines of text from one post. Of course, it actually is easy if you give a very quick sentence of the point that the other poster is making by devoting the first sentence with something like "For your point where you said 'so and so'...." sort of thing can help reduce the clutter while keeping it simple and easy to understand the point you're looking at....if that helps at all......

I understand your desire to limit the length of posts by not allowing the "quote" feature, but if it makes communicating that much harder for the members, is it really doing anything other than aggravating the member and lessening their desire to post in that Forum?

At the gamefaqs forums where there is the occassional "tier list" debates, one of the biggest problems is the exact point that groovicus made about gigantic posts that are hard to read that is full of "quote this, my info that, quote this, my info that" sort of thing. With the section I go to, most of the debaters try to keep it condensed, but there's sometimes a few here and there that will just go on and on and come close to the maximum character limit (I think some 24400 or something like that.....it's been forever since I last saw it) and do it again for three posts in a row to get their point...and sometimes, they will make up irrelevent stuff that is probably there that could also be considered flamebaiting.

Aaaaaand I'm shutting up.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

I cannot figure out how quoting a person entire comment in a post and then writing a reply to the entire thing makes any sense. What you do is answer the OP with complete sentences. You can also Address a person directly by saying.. For username.. I understand what you meant when you said... and insert the specific thing you want to refer to in italic type but I wonder if you considered *insert your point here*

That makes for a lot less text to wade through.

Oh and please note. I felt no need to QUOTE anyone here because my point addresses the specific issue of the quote feature. I do realize this is not the exact topic here, but I do feel that has been addressed. My point stands on it's own and I do not feel a need to quote anyone to make my point.

When someone starts a topic and says what they wanted to say.. they know what they said. They do not generally need to be reminded of what they themselves said. What is wrong with scrolling back to see, if reminding is needed? I and many other people are of the opinion that the quote feature is a lazy habit because you just wrap in quotes and do not take the time to break thoughts down into bite size pieces (so to speak).One big block of quote, then another big block of texts follows. You can italicize specific things or just address what they said without quoting another post that is a duplicate of the previous. It is redundant to do that in most cases.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:38 AM

I think, the way it is now, is a vast improvement,to what it used to be.
Groovicus, did us all a favour, making these changes.
Easy to make reference to a previous statement,if need be,by quoting Post number,or one line in Italic,that someone said previously.
I personally, was sick to death, of reading pages of quotes,and the same thing,many times.
Some members, were putting huge Quotes in their posts,and adding only one line.
The way it is now,to me anyway,is the best of both Worlds. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users