Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make an OS?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 8Bits

8Bits

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

Like windows, mac etc.......
I want to make a new OS
How to do it? :thumbsup:

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 14 July 2009 - 08:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

Making an OS? That's ambitious. You can either make your own edition of Linux or, you can spend several years making a kernel then spending several more designing and building a GUI.

3939.png

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

You need to be a really hardcore programmer of both high and low level programming, who has knowledge of hardware access in great depth.
This is almost impossible task to make a working OS for a single person. It requires team work - experts of various fields.

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

You need to be a really hardcore programmer of both high and low level programming, who has knowledge of hardware access in great depth.
This is almost impossible task to make a working OS for a single person. It requires team work - experts of various fields.

This pretty much says it all. I, personally, want to be a programmer and know multiple programming languages, but I know for a fact I would not have the patience to make an OS.

However, if you really want to make an OS, you may want to consider helping out the ReactOS team.

You may want to read up on this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS. The main thing I want you to see is the amount of time it took for ReactOS to get this far in development.

Edited by MadDawg, 15 July 2009 - 11:07 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:35 AM

Writing your own OS from the metal up is extremely difficult. Doing it well is nigh on impossible!

A somewhat less ambitious project would be building a custom version of an existing OS. You can't do that with Windows or Mac OS (because Microsoft and Apple don't release their source code) but you can build your own version of Linux.

Building your own Linux:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
http://www.diy-linux.org/

Further reading:
A Lightweight Method for Building Reliable Operating Systems Despite Unreliable Device Drivers (PDF)
Write Your Own Operating System Tutorial
Operating Systems Design and Implementation, by Andrew S. Tanenbaum (Amazon.com)
MINIX3 OS based on Andrew Tanenbaum's CS teaching tool MINIX
Operating Systems Lecture Notes
List of free e-books about Operating Systems
In the Beginning was the Command Line by Neal Stephenson, essay on OS philosophy

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 16 July 2009 - 10:50 AM.
More sources

#7 crystalclaw

crystalclaw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

really? It's not as hard as you make it out to be. I recently dicovered how to do it. Just follow these instructions
(http://www.osdever.net/tutorials.php?cat=0&sort=1)
and improve the code and the GUI, and you'll be set.

#8 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

I would highly recommend starting off with something like Linux From Scratch. Building an LFS system really isn't hard once you have understanding of Linux. While this technically isn't making your own programming wise, it is a good way to learn the basic principles of what goes on in an OS. Developing a kernel for a custom operating system is no small undertaking. It is a VERY large commitment. If you want to look more into it a good place to start is The OSDev WIKI. As far as those that say that one person can't do it I disagree. While it is extremely difficult to do it yourself and would take an enormous amount of time there are quite a few people that enjoy doing it as a hobby.

{edit}
I should also add that the most common languages to use for OS Dev are a combination of ASM and C.

Edited by Adam17, 06 July 2010 - 04:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users