Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Snooping Through The Power Socket

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

Well some things never cease to amaze you but Security researchers have found that power sockets can be used to eavesdrop on what people type on their keyboard, this is more specific to Desktop keyboards which connect via the PS/2 connection, I guess USB keyboards can't be tracked that way? which I assume are getting more common on Desktops now than the PS/2 connecting keyboards.

Although at the moment it has only been proven upto 15m (Metres) away

Anyway here is the story and a quote below - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8147534.stm

Power sockets can be used to eavesdrop on what people type on a computer.

Security researchers found that poor shielding on some keyboard cables means useful data can be leaked about each character typed.

By analysing the information leaking onto power circuits, the researchers could see what a target was typing.

The attack has been demonstrated to work at a distance of up to 15m, but refinement may mean it could work over much longer distances.

Edited by woodyblade, 13 July 2009 - 11:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

Thanks woodyblade that was a good read.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:51 AM

Hmmm, guess that means I should unconvert my usb keyboard from ps2.

I have always wondered if things like that and keyloggers can tell what is copied and pasted. I have most of my passwords and such in a file that has a lot of random numbers that would be very hard for someone to tell what the real numbers I use are, and I just copy and paste them into whatever I am signing into. I assume that is safer than typing them each time, but often wonder if things copied and pasted can be picked up by keyloggers and such.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

I'm sure there is some clown out there working on a way to steal copy/past. I don't think they will be trying to get any thing from my computer there no money in it. They are looking at things like banking,DOD, NASA, ect. I never do banking,bill paying on line because you never know. It's scary to think our A/C wiring in our dwelling is transmitting to who ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users