Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 billybob43

billybob43

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

I have been having problems with my computer freezing up quite a bit for the last 6 months. I have changed hard drives, downloaded Tune-up Utilities, cleaned out my files, and cleaned out the inside of my computer and still it freezes up on me! Itís very annoying! I'll be right in the middle of something, then nothing responds and it freezes up! I am surprised that it hasn't frozen up, while I have been typing this problem! So, I end up having to hit the reset button and lose what I had up on my computer!
Here are my computer specs:
I have a custom made computer, which is about 3 years old, with an ASUS motherboard and parts.
An Intel Pentium D cpu
2Gigs of RAM
250 GB hard drive
DVD & CD drives
McAfee antivirus, Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes anti-malware, Super antispyware.
Nothing special here. Please someone help me! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Error messages?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

How much free space on the C: partition?

Are fans working properly...have you checked the CPU temperatures in the BIOS after a freeze?

Louis

#3 billybob43

billybob43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

I don't get any error messages. It just simply freezes up. I have 213 GB's of free space left on my hard drive. I also have an ASUS monitor, that came with my motherboard software, that monitors my temps. & speed of my fan and they check OK. As far as an Event Viewer, I am not sure what that is. I am just puzzled as to why my computer freezes up so much. Everything checks OK. The only thing that I think that might be wrong with my computer, is the power box. Because, when I first start my computer up, the fan makes a whinning noise, then it freezes up quite a bit. But then when the noise goes away, it doesn't freeze up until later on. Its very frustrating, not knowing what is wrong with my computer, nor what to do about it!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

As far as an Event Viewer, I am not sure what that is.

Please take a look here: How To Use the Event Viewer Applet Start where it says instructions, you may find important information there, to help diagnosing your issue.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 billybob43

billybob43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:07 AM

I checked the event log like you suggested. I couldn't find any problems in the event log, but I am glad that you showed me how to use this event log, so it wasn't a total waste! The ole saying is true, you learn something new everyday! I am probably going to have to take my computer into the computer shop that built my computer, to have it looked at, to see why its freezing up on me. But thanks for all of the help anyways!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users