Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing ubuntu on xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 polarpimp

polarpimp

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:11 AM

Ok, i made the ubuntu cd and when i put it on there it says to choose to try the demo or install it. If i install it will i b able to remove it like any other windows program in the add or remove programs section? And lets say that i am using it to try out new antivirus will windows programs work on ubuntu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

If you install via Wubi (inside of windows) you can uninstall Ubuntu through the Add/Remove programs Menu. windows programs in general will not work in ubuntu unless you use WINE or a similar program. In ubuntu you should not need an antivirus.

Posted Image

#3 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:47 PM

I've used the Wubi versions of Ubuntu and Xubuntu (the run within Windows option). It's like having dualboot without having to partition your drive.
Once installed ... At boot up you can choose Windows or Ubuntu (or whichever buntu you've chosen).
If you want to uninstall Ubuntu having used Wubi just boot in to Windows and go to Add/Remove programs and it's as easy as that.
Wubi standa for Windows Ubuntu Installer.

I am now running Linux Mint using their version of Wubi which they call Mint4Win. Downloaded current ISO for Mint, burned to CD-R. Boot into Windows, insert disc, click on Menu when disc shows on My Computer and choose Install within Windows.
I found that Mint found my wireless (Dell laptop) with no problem. Same with my Mobile Broadband dongle. In other words I'm very impressed.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

I found one glitch in Ubuntu WUBI. After you uninstall Ubuntu, it leaves Ubuntu entry in boot.ini which you manually have to remove.

#5 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

I found one glitch in Ubuntu WUBI. After you uninstall Ubuntu, it leaves Ubuntu entry in boot.ini which you manually have to remove.

thats true,but ubuntu now has a uninstaller to get rid of it for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users