Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very slow PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vincenze1

Vincenze1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:04 AM

HPdc5800
XP SP3
Auslogic Reg screening and defrag
Spyware doctor
CCleaner
Sophos
Combofix (have .txt if needed)
These are the checkers I use
Very slow to load programs. What would load instantaneously 2 months ago, now takes half an hour (SAGE for eg)
The boot up is painfully slow and the personal settings are maddening.
The Start bar menu takes ages to show up dropdowns and programs.
Have done the usual performance stuff, regedit startup control improvements to 40000 decimel from default 480000 to speed start.
Increased min memory in MY COMP/PROPERTIES/PERFORMANCE/ADVANCED
COMBOFIX went through the checks but has made little difference. Took out flash.exe etc.
Run HP diagnostics
Chkdsk F and R
Seriously hacked off because cannot get my accounts controller back to work.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Vinc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

Did you try running sfc /scannow

If you've been doing things to make your registry more efficient and you've run Combofix, you may have caused some damage. The above scan, which can be run from either Start / Run. Copy/paste in the above bold type and click on ok. Or it can be run from the cmd prompt. Start / Run type in cmd and click on ok. In the window that opens up, copy the above bold line and paste it in at the end of the line and click on enter.

If you run the above scan, you may be asked to insert your Windows cd.

The other thing you might want to do is to go to the Am I Infected forum and see if they can check for rootkits.

Also, how is your memory? Is the ram functioning correctly?

Did the slowness occur gradually or after you installed something? Any thoughts on that?

#3 Vincenze1

Vincenze1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

Zllio, thanks for coming back.

The slowdown was gradual, but quite extreme in the last few days.

The HP diagnostics disk confirmed that all the hardware passed all tests.

I will add in some regedit tweaks to speed start up, menu drop down etc.

I will try the scan you suggest.

Last stop may need to be the infected forums. I just cannot nail whether this is an infection or damaged code (same thing perhaps).

Vincenze

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

From looking at the scans you did, the Am I Infected Forum could add to those and take a look for rootkits as well. Might be a good idea to post there.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users