Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading Motherboard, Processor and cpu for better gaming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bourkie

bourkie

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

I want to upgrade my computer to handle games better, the main think i want to upgrade it my motherboard
and processor and maby add a 2nd 9800 gt in sli.

what would be a good mother board and processor to get?
would i be better off adding a second gpu or geting a better one, if so what one?
and are there any other componets that i need to upgrade?
also i live in Australia and need a supplier for the parts

My budget:500-1000 aus
What are the primary uses for this computer:Gaming, web browsing and music
Do you play games? If so, what type of games? arma, aa3, i want to get some games like arma 2 that my current system wont handle
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?most at once is usailly a few web pages, msn and wmp.
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? yes, lots of pics and music but on a externial hdd

My system.
Motherboard:
asus p5gc-mx rev 2.02

Processor:
intel pentium 4 3.2ghz

Memory:
2gb

Power supply:
500W
powercase pph512tuv
1. Large 120mm Silent Fan
2. 20+4 pin main power connecter
3. 8pin / 4pin connecter for intel new mainbard available
4. SATA cable x1
5. IDE cable x4
6. FDD cable x1

Video card:
palit 9800 gt
http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=727

microsoft windows xp home edition 5.1 build 260

Thanks to anyone who helps me :thumbsup:
Bourkie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

You can build a pretty good gaming system on that budget. HERE is a really good computer parts guide. If you read through the whole thing you will learn a lot about what is currently on the market. If you scroll down to the bottom, you will see several builds in several different price ranges. The prices listed are from Newegg and are in UD dollars, which I just checked and today the aus dollar is .777 of a us dollar so you can see it will be about 25% more for you than the prices listed.

#3 bourkie

bourkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:15 AM

What do you think about this mother board and cpu?
also can can my OS handle more than 2gb ram?

GA-EP45-UD3L
http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_...oducts_id=85177

Q9650
http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_...oducts_id=84373

thanks
-Bourkie

#4 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

XP Home x32 can only use 3GB of RAM. I would recomend getting either Vista or Windows 7 as they can use 4GB of RAM...
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

While both parts are much more than you need, they are both very nice components. I have a Q9450, which is the 2.66MHz version of the chip you are looking at, and except for stress tests and when I edit video in HD it never comes close to being maxed out. The P45 chipset is a good chipset and Gigabyte has a good reputation. You won't be disappointed with that combination, except for maybe in your wallet lol.

If you wanted to spend less money and still have good performance, you could look at an AMD processor and MoBo as well.

Also, as Andrewww pointed out, you will need a 64 bit operating system to use more than 3.5 GB's of RAM. I would wait on buying an OS though until Win7 comes out. Games (and everything else lol) run much faser the more RAM you have. As RAM has become so cheap, I would recommend that for now you buy 4GB's (2X2GB's) and then if you get a 64 bit OS you can always add more.

#6 bourkie

bourkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:37 AM

I have the mother board and cpu on the way now :D ($700 aus), once i have everything installed on the new board is there anything I have to do for windows to reconise the new cpu and motherboard?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

You will need to reinstall Windows, so backup your files and find your Windows CD. Keep in mind that you cannot reuse an OEM edition of XP on a PC if you're replacing the motherboard as you will be violating the EULA. Microsoft's licensing identifies a PC based on the motherboard, so if you get a different motherboard, you are getting a new PC. Retail, boxed copies of Windows do not have this restriction and you can move them between PC's. OEM editions often come preinstalled on PC's when you purchase them and are tied to your motherboard. You can also use this opportunity to try Windows 7 since the release candidate is still available, for free, at Microsoft. You can download it here.

3939.png

#8 bourkie

bourkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:25 AM

I ended up building a new system this is what i got

Gigabyte - GA-EP45-UD3L
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
Xigmatek CPU Cooler S1283
Western Digital WD6401AALS
2X for 8gb Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 4GB
LG GH22NS50 22xDVD+-R, 12xDVD-RAM, DL, BLK, SATA, NERO EXPRESS7
Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX Power Supply
Cooler Master RC-331-KKN3 Elite 331 Black ATX Case
and used my palit 9800 gt

it cost me $AUS 1,469.18 from scorptec

only trouble i had with it was the size of the xigmatek cooler and corsair ram heatsink, i had to bend some of the fins down on the cpu cooler as there wasnt enuff clearence (about 2mm) so i could get all the ram in, i had to mount the fan with only 3 of the rubber mounts

my windows 7 rc 64bit wouldnt work, got to the screen with the first pic than did nothing so i installed windows xp 32 bit for now so the extra ram isnt realy usfull untill i get windows 7.

it is a very fast system, hasnt come close to maxing out the cpu and will play all my games on highest settings posable at 1440X900 AA maxed (arma, crysis with very high hack, farcry2, aa3)

i'm very happy with the system :D thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users